Business Owners Impacted by Condemnation
Nossaman's Eminent Domain and Valuation Practice Group has an unrivaled track record of success in representing California business owners. Nossaman has a prominent, state-wide reputation for creative, competent, and efficient representation of the targets of eminent domain.
Nossaman attorneys - who comprise one of the largest single eminent domain groups in the State - regularly achieve top-notch results in condemnation proceedings, starting even before the government files the action through trial, and, if necessary, appeal.
More specifically, Nossaman's eminent domain attorneys have expertise in the following areas:
- Precondemnation planning efforts to minimize the impacts of a taking and to maximize the recovery from it
- Opposing the government's effort to obtain prejudgment possession
- Unreasonable precondemnation delay and other government pre-litigation and litigation tactics that can lead to blight and claims for precondemnation damages
- Right-to-take challenges that can delay or even prevent a taking
- Claims of loss of business goodwill and other business losses arising from the taking
- Mediations, arbitrations, court trials, and jury trials
- Appeals before the Courts of Appeal and the California Supreme Court
Nossaman attorneys have prepared a booklet that describes generally the eminent domain process and the types of compensation to which landowners and business owners may be entitled. Click for a free printable version of Nossaman's Eminent Domain Guide.
The successes of Nossaman's Eminent Domain and Valuation Practice Group consistently garner attention throughout California. Our condemnation experience includes presenting creative valuation theories for a broad range of business types. We have represented business owners who operated small, "mom-and-pop"-type auto shops, restaurants, and other small and family-owned businesses, as well as lumber companies, automotive dealerships, large industrial operators, and major "big box" retailers.
Nossaman attorneys have tried scores of jury and court trials, have argued dozens of cases before the Courts of Appeal and California Supreme Court, and have negotiated settlements short of trial in hundreds of other cases. Our results speak for themselves.