Corporate/Transactional Legal Secretary (LA)
We are seeking a talented and experienced Corporate/Transactional Legal Secretary to support a busy group of transactional attorneys in the Firm’s Los Angeles office. In this role, you will be primarily responsible for providing administrative and secretarial support to assigned attorneys. The ideal candidate will be proficient with Microsoft Word including the use of styles and the creation and formatting of complex documents. The position reports to the Los Angeles Office’s Office Administration Director.
- Provide comprehensive secretarial support functions for attorneys including creating, editing, revising, redlining and/or proofreading documents from dictation, handwritten, typed and/or electronic copy
- Facilitate the calendaring/docketing of important dates in conjunction with the docketing team
- Process and route incoming/outgoing mail, faxes and electronic communications
- Prepare new client/matter intake forms and engagement letters liaising with conflicts team as needed
- Process and monitor expense reports/reimbursements, vendor bills and check requests
- Support the billing process including assisting attorneys with entering, proofreading and releasing time entries and coordinating with the billing team on the mailing of invoices
- Assist with managing the calendars of assigned attorneys including coordinating meetings, making travel arrangements, scheduling conference rooms and arranging food orders in conjunction with hospitality teams
- Maintain administrative and client files in electronic and paper format adhering to the Firm’s information governance policies and procedures in conjunction with the records team
- Support other legal support services team projects and initiatives including providing back-up support to other legal secretaries as needed
Experience & Qualifications:
- High School Diploma or equivalent required; Bachelor’s degree preferred
- A minimum of five (5) years of legal administrative/litigation experience required; experience supporting corporate transactional attorneys is required
- Familiarity with and strong working knowledge of legal terminology
- Extensive experience in formatting and styling documents, multi-level auto number and conversion/formatting documents
- Experience supporting multiple attorneys simultaneously
- Strong time management skills including the ability to multi-task, prioritize work and communicate workload challenges to attorneys and/or administrative manager
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office and various legal software applications (i.e. iManage, Litera ChangePro, ChromeRiver, etc.)
- Experience with timekeeping/billing software; experience with Aderant preferred
- Superior communication and engagement skills, including the ability to interact credibly and diplomatically with individuals at all levels of the Firm including clients
- Strong interpersonal skills including the ability to work effectively in a collaborative organization and to create consensus-based support for strategies and processes
- Exceptional organizational, grammar, spelling and proofreading skills to support heavy administrative responsibilities
- Ability to act as back-up to other team members to support additional attorneys when necessary
- Type a minimum of 60+ WPM
Successful candidates must be proactive, client service oriented, energetic and reliable. As with all Firm positions, impeccable integrity, excellent judgment and sensitivity to others are essential.
Nossaman is an innovative mid-sized law firm working on cutting-edge issues across seven U.S. offices. Our expertise is focused in distinct areas of law and policy, as well as in specific industries. With a strong foundation in California, we have built nationally recognized practices in infrastructure, litigation, healthcare, environmental, real estate, public policy and corporate law.
We offer a competitive salary and generous benefits package. Interested candidates are invited to apply online.
Nossaman is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, genetic information, protected veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability status or any other category protected by local, state or federal law. This policy applies to all aspects of Nossaman’s employment lifecycle including recruitment, placement, promotion, transfer, compensation, benefits, social and recreational activities.
Agency submissions by invitation only.