Legislative Assistant (Sacramento)
We are seeking a Legislative Assistant for the Firm’s Sacramento office to play an integral role in our Government Relations & Regulation Group. The Legislative Assistant will work closely with members of the group on state and federal public policy issues, providing support by assisting with correspondence, maintaining the calendar for legislative hearings, coordinating and setting up meetings, preparing reports and completing other administrative duties. This position reports to the Office Administration Director.
This is a great opportunity for candidates seeking broad exposure to lobbying and grant work.
- Prepare correspondence and distribute position letters to legislative recipients
- Manage and maintain calendar for tracking legislative hearings
- Coordinate scheduling legislative advocacy meetings, including preparing agendas, creating advocacy handouts/materials and other follow-up as needed
- Run weekly reports to track legislation utilizing Capitol Track software
- Support client management efforts, including preparing legislative updates via memos, reports and emails
- Analyze bills for impacts to clients
- Monitor amendments to legislation that would impact clients
- Monitor and analyze budget proposals that would impact clients
- Organize and maintain electronic file system, including filing correspondence, ensure proper filing of documents/records; open and close files according to the Firm’s Information Governance policy
- Assist with short and long-term projects and day-to-day administrative work requests
Experience & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required
- Minimum of 2 - 3 years preferably legislative assistant experience in the State Capitol, for an elected office, in a law or lobbying firm or other relevant professional services environment
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Knowledge of legislative and regulatory process
- Strong client service skills, exceptional time management skills and the ability to organize and prioritize simultaneous projects in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to effectively interact and collaborate with individuals at all levels of the organization
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, including Excel and PowerPoint
- Flexibility to work beyond standard business hours as needed
Successful candidates must be proactive, customer service oriented, enthusiastic and reliable. As with all Nossaman positions, impeccable integrity, excellent judgment and sensitivity to others are essential. Enthusiasm, diverse interests and a good sense of humor are also useful and appreciated.
Nossaman offers a competitive salary and generous benefits package. Qualified candidates are invited to apply online by submitting a cover letter, resume, writing sample and salary requirements.
Nossaman is an Equal Opportunity Employer, Affirmative Action Employer, M/F/D/V.
Agency submissions by invitation only.