Litigation Legal Secretary (Orange County)
We are seeking a talented and experienced Litigation Legal Secretary to support a team of highly active litigators, including members of our Eminent Domain Group in our Orange County office. In this role, you will be primarily responsible for providing case management, administrative and secretarial support to assigned attorneys. The ideal candidate will have a thorough working knowledge of the Federal and California court systems and be proficient with Microsoft Word, including the use of styles and the creation and formatting of pleadings and other complex documents including appeals briefs, and tables of content and authorities.
- Provide secretarial support to attorneys: creating, editing, revising, redlining, and/or proofreading documents from dictation, handwritten, typed and/or electronic copy
- Prepare/file paper and electronic documents with courts and agencies ensuring appropriate and relevant court procedures are followed and deadlines are met
- Facilitate the calendaring/docketing of court and discovery deadlines and other important dates in conjunction with the docketing department
- Coordinate logistics of depositions, mediations, arbitrations and/or trials (i.e. venue location, court reporter/videographer, etc.)
- Process and route incoming/outgoing mail, faxes, and electronic communications
- Prepare new client/matter intake forms and engagement letters liaising with conflicts department as needed
- Process and monitor expense reports/reimbursements, vendor bills and check requests
- Support the billing process: assisting attorneys with entering, proofreading and releasing time entries and coordinating with the billing team on the mailing of invoices
- Assist with managing the calendars of assigned attorneys: coordinating meetings, making travel arrangements, and arranging food orders
- Maintain administrative and client files in electronic and paper format adhering to the Firm’s information governance policies and procedures
- Support other legal support services department projects and initiatives including providing back-up support to other legal secretaries as needed
Experience & Qualifications:
- High School Diploma, or equivalent, required; Bachelor’s degree preferred
- A minimum of five (5) years of legal administrative/litigation experience required; experience supporting litigation attorneys required
- Familiarity and experience supporting eminent domain attorneys preferred
- Familiarity with and strong working knowledge of legal terminology, legal and court proceedings, including Washington and Federal court filing processes/systems
- Extensive experience in formatting pleadings and briefs, table of contents, table of authorities and styles
- Experience supporting multiple attorneys simultaneously
- Strong time management skills including the ability to multi-task, prioritize work and communicate workload challenges to attorneys and/or administrative manager
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office and various legal software applications (i.e. iManage, Litera ChangePro, ChromeRiver, etc.)
- Experience with timekeeping/billing software; experience with Aderant preferred
- Superior communication and engagement skills, including the ability to interact credibly and diplomatically with individuals at all levels of the Firm including clients
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to work effectively in a collaborative organization and to create consensus-based support for strategies and processes
- Exceptional organizational, grammar, spelling and proofreading skills to support heavy administrative responsibilities
- Ability to act as back-up to other team members to support additional attorneys when necessary
- Type a minimum of 60+ WPM
Successful candidates must be proactive, client service oriented, energetic and reliable. As with all Firm positions, impeccable integrity, excellent judgment and sensitivity to others are essential.
We are an innovative mid-sized law firm working on cutting-edge issues across eight U.S. offices. Our expertise is focused in distinct areas of law and policy, as well as in specific industries. With a strong foundation in California, we have built nationally recognized practices in infrastructure, litigation, healthcare, environmental, real estate, public policy and corporate law.
We offer a competitive salary and generous benefits package. Interested candidates are invited to apply online.
Nossaman is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, genetic information, protected veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability status or any other category protected by local, state or federal law. This policy applies to all aspects of Nossaman’s employment lifecycle including recruitment, placement, promotion, transfer, compensation, benefits, social and recreational activities.
Agency submissions by invitation only.