Litigation Paralegal (Los Angeles, Orange County or San Francisco)
We are seeking an experienced Litigation Paralegal that supports the firm by performing a variety of duties to assist litigation attorneys through the commencement, discovery, trial, settlement, mediation and appellate phases of the Firm’s litigation matters. The Litigation Paralegal works under the supervision of the Firm’s Practice Support Director and will be located in the Los Angeles, Orange County or San Francisco office.
- Oversees cases by managing files and documents; coordinating with support services, clients, opposing law firms and courts; expedites paper flow. Maintains schedules and deadlines. Generates status reports, logs and indices. Perform legal research.
- Compiles and prepares evidence and supporting information by researching records, discovery documents, transcripts and databases. Supervises electronic discovery. Arrange for and work with experts. Drafts complaints and answers, interrogatories, memos, routine notices, affidavits, motions, jury instructions, etc. Attend document productions and review, organize and index documents produced. Assists with preparation of documents and exhibits for appeal.
- Oversees technological aspects of cases by managing document database containing e-files, transcripts and documents for production; coordinates with litigation support and outside vendor services. Prepare demonstrative exhibits.
- Prepares for depositions, mediations, settlement conferences and trials by preparing trial notebooks, exhibits and jury instructions. Familiarity with discovery and trial procedures, state and federal court systems and local rules and filing procedures; and litigation support services and technologies. Prepares discovery requests and responses. Review and assemble exhibits for depositions. Organize and mark trial exhibits. Attend, assist and manage physical evidence at trial. Prepare statistical and/or factual memoranda. Review documents for privilege and prepare privilege logs. Develop dossiers on adverse experts and witnesses. Coordinate exchange of exhibits with other parties.
- Maintains and improves technical knowledge by attending continuing legal education workshops, conferences, seminars and classes. Demonstrates growth of knowledge in other firm practice areas, such as Bankruptcy and Employment.
- Works efficiently in a time-critical environment and responds to multiple priorities from multiple sources in a cheerful and professional manner.
- Ensures timely time-entry for hours to be billed.
Experience & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Legal or related course is preferred.
- Prior law firm or corporate law department experience.
- Experience with document preparation and management.
- Experience with management of large/complex projects.
- 1–5 year experience working as a Paralegal.
- Strong software skills in Microsoft Office products (Word, Outlook, Excel, Power Point, Access).
- Strong skills in legal research and document review systems (Relativity, PACER, LexisNexis, Westlaw, CourtLink, Shepard’s).
- Excellent interpersonal skills for productive interaction with multiple parties associated with each transaction.
- Ability to work independently (with knowledge of when to ask for guidance), self-starter and detail-oriented, as well as being a team player.
- Flexibility to adapt to all situations and work varied hours; flexibility to work weekends or evenings occasionally.
- Ability to perform at high levels in a fast paced, ever changing legal environment.
- Ability to anticipate work needs and follow through with minimum direction.
- Ability to exercise sound professional judgment; is practical; can apply ability and knowledge to situations; seeks direction as appropriate.
Successful candidate must be proactive, customer service oriented, energetic and reliable. As with all Firm positions, impeccable integrity, excellent judgment and sensitivity to others are essential. Enthusiasm, diverse interests and a good sense of humor are also useful and appreciated.
We offer a competitive salary and generous benefits package. Qualified candidates are invited to apply online by submitting a resume, cover letter and salary requirements.
Nossaman is an innovative mid-sized law firm working on cutting-edge issues across seven U.S. offices. Our expertise is focused in distinct areas of law and policy, as well as in specific industries. We have built nationally recognized practices in infrastructure, litigation, healthcare, environmental, real estate, public policy and corporate law.
Nossaman is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, genetic information, protected veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability status or any other category protected by local, state or federal law. This policy applies to all aspects of Nossaman’s employment lifecycle including recruitment, placement, promotion, transfer, compensation, benefits, social and recreational activities. M/F/D/V.
Agency submissions by invitation only.