Litigation Paralegal (Washington, DC)
We are seeking an experienced Paralegal to work with the Firm’s litigation-focused practices. The Litigation Paralegal will support the Firm by performing a variety of duties to assist its attorneys through the commencement, discovery, trial, settlement, mediation and appellate phases of the Firm’s litigation matters. The Litigation Paralegal works under the supervision of the Firm’s Practice Support Director and will be located in the Washington, DC office.
The salary range for the position of Paralegal at Nossaman is $85,000 to $115,000 annually. The successful candidate’s salary for this position is reasonably expected to be set within this range. However, actual compensation will depend on a variety of factors, including, without limitation, the candidate’s qualifications and experience.
- Operate as the “glue” that holds a litigation case team together by overseeing the organization and support of multiple cases.
- Manage files and documents related to litigation cases in adherence to Firm policies and procedures.
- Coordinate with support services, vendors, litigation support, clients, opposing law firms and courts and adhere to schedules and deadlines as communicated.
- Perform legal research, generate status reports, logs and indices. Anticipate attorney needs and maintain a proactive work ethic.
- Compile and prepare evidence and supporting information by researching records, discovery documents, transcripts and databases.
- Supervise electronic discovery for assigned litigation matters and work with external experts as needed.
- Draft complaints and answers, document requests, interrogatories, memos, routine notices, affidavits, motions, jury instructions, etc.
- Assist with document reviews and productions, review documents for privilege and prepare privilege logs and organize/index documents produced by parties to litigation and third parties.
- Assist with preparation of documents and exhibits for appeal. Follow Bluebook citation styles in cite checking assignments, including Shepardizing.
- Oversee technological aspects of cases by managing document review databases containing electronic files, transcripts and scanned paper documents for production.
- Demonstrate good working knowledge of litigation support and e-discovery review software.
- Prepare for depositions, mediations, settlement conferences and trials by preparing trial notebooks, exhibits and jury instructions. Demonstrate familiarity with discovery and trial procedures, state and federal court systems, as well as local rules and filing procedures. Review and assemble exhibits for depositions and trials.
- Attend and support trials, including the preparation of statistical and/or factual memoranda, developing dossiers on adverse experts and witnesses and coordinating the exchange of exhibits with other parties.
- Maintain and improve technical knowledge by attending continuing legal education workshops, conferences, seminars and classes. Demonstrate growth of knowledge in other Firm practice areas, such as Environmental, Insurance Recovery, IP, Bankruptcy and Employment.
- Work efficiently in a time-critical environment and respond to multiple priorities from various sources in a positive and professional manner.
- Seek out billable work from attorneys on a proactive basis.
- Ensure timely and accurate entry of time to be billed to clients.
Experience & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Legal, or related course, or equivalent experience, is required.
- 4-5 years of experience working as a Paralegal in a mid-size or large law firm, or corporate law department.
- Prior experience with document databases, preparation and management.
- Experience overseeing multiple case workflows simultaneously and managing large/complex projects.
- Strong software skills in Microsoft Office suite, including Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint and Access.
- Expert with document review systems (Relativity, PACER, LexisNexis, Westlaw, CourtLink, Shepard’s).
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, as well as interpersonal skills for productive interaction with multiple parties associated with each matter.
- Ability to work independently (with knowledge of when to ask for guidance), self-starter and detail-oriented, as well as being a team player.
- Flexibility to adapt to all situations and work varied hours; flexibility to work weekends or evenings occasionally as needed in connection with filings or projects.
- Ability to exercise sound professional judgment, make practical decisions and apply ability and knowledge to situations while seeking direction when needed.
- Experience with privilege logs and working with protective orders.
Successful candidate must be proactive, customer service oriented, energetic and reliable. As with all Firm positions, impeccable integrity, excellent judgment and sensitivity to others are essential. Enthusiasm, diverse interests and a good sense of humor are also useful and appreciated.
Nossaman offers a competitive salary and generous benefits package. Qualified candidates are invited to apply online by submitting a resume, cover letter and salary requirements.
Nossaman is an Equal Opportunity Employer, Affirmative Action Employer, M/F/D/V.
Agency submissions by invitation only.