Paralegal (Los Angeles)
We are seeking an experienced full-time Paralegal to join the Firm's national Practice Support team. The position will focus on providing general support to practice groups that focus on litigation and transactional matters. The ideal candidate will possess the background, skills, and knowledge necessary to assist attorneys and members of a case team with all aspects of the litigation lifecycle and phases of transactions. The position will be remote initially but will eventually be based in the Firm’s Los Angeles office.
- Coordinate and support all aspects of discovery in litigation;
- Prepare and organize exhibits in advance of depositions, hearings, and trials;
- Draft various litigation pleadings and documents, such as complaints, motions, briefs, and subpoenas;
- Proofread legal pleadings and conform citations to current Bluebook standards, or other legal citation systems in use in less common jurisdictions;
- Research court rules and requirements in state and federal jurisdictions;
- Assist with all phases of transactions for the Firm’s transactional practice groups, including research, analysis, regulatory filings, due diligence, drafting, and closing;
- Maintain frequent contact with attorneys and other members of case teams to ensure early involvement in matters and encourage a steady stream of work;
- Provide frequent updates to case teams and department management on deadlines, project challenges, and overall project status;
- Track all time in appropriate time tracking systems and creating accurate descriptions of the work performed for client bills;
- Provide recommendations to case teams and department management for software and/or technology that can add value to the client;
- Identify time- and cost-saving changes to existing workflows;
- Complete special projects as needed.
Skills & Qualifications:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Possess a strong work ethic and attention to detail, focused on providing excellent client service;
- Strong time management and prioritization skills, with the ability to prioritize competing workload, assignments, and client needs;
- Highly evolved organizational skills, including the ability to categorize e-mails, client data, pleadings, and/or other documents related to active matters;
- Ability to work independently, while also possessing the ability to follow instructions and established procedures;
- Ability to improvise, “think outside of the box,” and quickly adapt to change, functioning as an integral part of a fast-paced team environment;
- Possess an advanced level of legal research and investigation skills;
- Experience in and knowledge of financial services, investigations, federal appellate procedures and forms, and federal administrative law;
- Comprehensive knowledge of concepts, terminology, principles, and procedures of local, state, and federal courts and government agencies.
- Experience with extracting and utilizing information from statutes, court decisions, codes, and other legal resources;
- Familiarity with Bluebook citation standards and requirements;
- Experience managing small, medium, and large-scale document productions;
- Proficiency with web-based document review database platforms, preferably Relativity;
- Strong understanding of corporate terms, forms, EDGAR and other on-line search and filing systems, as well as UCC forms and filing procedures;
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office suite, including Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint;
- Experience with document/work product management platforms commonly used by law firms, such as iManage;
- Maintains up to date knowledge of current industry trends, standards, and best practices;
- Ability to work weekends, holidays, and/or other overtime, on an as-needed basis in order to maintain high level of support for case teams and clients.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree and Paralegal certificate from an ABA accredited program preferred;
- A combination of education and/or experience compliant with California Business and Professions Codes 6450-56 required;
- A minimum of five years of significant and substantive litigation and corporate experience as a paralegal/legal assistant in a law firm setting.
Successful candidates must be proactive, customer service oriented, energetic and reliable. As with all Firm positions, impeccable integrity, excellent judgment, and sensitivity to others are essential. Enthusiasm, diverse interests, and a good sense of humor are also useful and appreciated.
We offer a competitive salary and generous benefits package. Interested candidates are invited to apply online.
Nossaman is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, genetic information, protected veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability status or any other category protected by local, state or federal law. This policy applies to all aspects of Nossaman’s employment lifecycle including recruitment, placement, promotion, transfer, compensation, benefits, social and recreational activities.
Agency submissions by invitation only.