Candace Sandoval has experience in a variety of legal issues, including the representation of hospitals and their medical staff in peer review proceedings, civil litigation, and related appellate proceedings; peer review investigations; privileging and credentialing of physicians; responding to subpoenas by state agencies requesting health information; and medical records issues (including HIPAA & CMIA). Candace also has experience with medical staff governance, regulatory, and compliance issues, including reviewing bylaws, rules and regulations, and policies, and revising bylaws for community clinics and nonprofit organizations in responding to audits by federal health oversight agencies.
In addition, Candace has assisted with business transactions for ambulatory surgery centers and public financings for California cities, water districts, special districts, joint powers authorities, school districts, and former redevelopment agencies, including drafting various agreements and performing diligence review.
Prior to joining Nossaman, Candace was a certified student attorney at Georgetown Law’s Social Enterprise and Nonprofit Law Clinic, where she provided entity formation services and counseled nonprofit associations and startup ventures regarding general corporate governance matters and 501(c)(3) tax compliance. She was also a staff member of The Tax Lawyer journal. Candace also spent time as a law clerk with several national law firms as well as with the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office, where she assisted deputy district attorneys in all phases of vertical prosecutions.
- California Supreme Court Decides Wilson v. CNN: Court Rules No Categorical Exception to Anti-SLAPP Review for Discrimination and Retaliation Claims and Provides Encouragement for the Continued Use of Anti-SLAPP Motions in the Peer Review Context07.27.2019 | The Health Law Ticker
- California Supreme Court to Issue Opinion on Monday, July 22 in Anti-SLAPP Case Affecting Pending Peer Review Cases and Peer Review Defense to Meritless Lawsuits07.19.2019 | The Health Law Ticker
- To Report or Not to Report: Medical Board and National Practitioner Data Bank Reporting RequirementsOrange County Bar Association's Health Care Law Section Meeting09.12.2019
Community & Professional
Director and Co-Chair of Professional Development Committee, Orange County Coalition for Diversity in the Law
Member, California Minority Counsel Program
Member, California Society for Healthcare Attorneys
Member, American Health Lawyers Association
Member, California Association Medical Staff Services
Member, California Academy of Attorneys for Health Care Professionals
Member, Orange County Bar Association, Health Care Law Section and Young Lawyers Division
Member, American Bar Association, Health Law Section
- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., 2016
- University of California, San Diego, B.A., 2010, cum laude, Highest Honors in Anthropology