Willis Hon focuses on serving water industry clients across California on a broad range of administrative and regulatory matters. He has extensive experience before the California Public Utilities Commission where he has participated in a number of ratesetting, adjudicatory, and rulemaking proceedings on behalf of water utility companies, industry associations, and regional transportation agencies. He also provides legal counseling and governance advice to public agencies on regulatory compliance issues, including matters relating to the Brown Act and public procurement laws.
Willis has written and presented on climate change resilience and adaptation matters, with a particular expertise on recent legislation addressing wildfire risks and the doctrine of inverse condemnation. He also has experience representing clients in federal court and before administrative agencies on environmental law matters involving the Clean Water Act and local air quality regulations.
Prior to joining Nossaman, Willis was an associate at a boutique environmental law firm in New York City, where he worked on federal and state environmental litigation and advised clients in regulatory investigations. He also served as a law clerk with the U.S. Department of Justice, Environment and Natural Resources Division, Law and Policy Section.
California Water Association. Represents the statewide association of investor-owned water utilities regulated by the CPUC and the SWRCB in proceedings relevant to records confidentiality and other policy matters impacting the delivery of safe, reliable water service at reasonable rates. Represents member companies in adjudicatory and ratesetting matters, including general rate cases and cost of capital proceedings.
San Diego Association of Governments (SANDAG). Represented SANDAG in rail crossing authorization proceedings before the CPUC in connection with SANDAG’s Mid-Coast Trolley Extension project to bring Blue Line Trolley service from Santa Fe Depot in Downtown San Diego to the University City community.
San Francisco County Transportation Authority. Member of team that serves as General Counsel to the Authority, which administers and oversees the delivery of the local transportation sales tax program to fund major transportation infrastructure projects.
Manufacturing Company. Member of team that represented client in an Order of Abatement hearing before the South Coast Air Quality Management District regarding air emissions and in a Clean Water Act citizen suit relating to allegations of stormwater pollution.
- The Water Resilience Portfolio: An Ambitious Blueprint for California Water in the Face of Climate Change08.18.2020 | Daily Journal
- 08.05.2020 | Law360
- 08.01.2020 | Chambers Alternative Energy & Power 2020 Guide
- 02.10.2020 | Nossaman eAlert
- As California Burns, Inverse Condemnation and Cost Recovery Issues Dominate California's Electric Utilities' Legal Framework11.07.2019 | Daily Journal
- 08.16.2019 | Nossaman eAlert
- Landmark Legislation Creates New Wildfire Fund and Overhauls California's Approach to Catastrophic Wildfires07.12.2019 | Nossaman eAlert
- 06.11.2019 | Nossaman eAlert
- 06.11.2019 | Daily Journal
- 05.30.2019 | Nossaman eAlert
- 04.17.2019 | Nossaman eAlert
- 01.14.2019 | Nossaman eAlert
- 09.24.2018 | Nossaman eAlert
- 07.31.2020 | California Water Views
- 07.02.2020 | California Eminent Domain Report
- 06.12.2020 | California Eminent Domain Report
- Amendments to Proposed Legislation Would Change Municipalization / Eminent Domain Takeovers of Electric, Gas and Water Utilities04.09.2020 | California Eminent Domain Report
- 03.30.2020 | California Water Views
- 03.10.2020 | California Water Views
- 02.28.2020 | California Water Views
- 02.10.2020 | California Water Views
- 02.04.2020 | California Eminent Domain Report
- 12.02.2019 | California Eminent Domain Report
- 11.21.2019 | California Eminent Domain Report
- 06.07.2019 | California Eminent Domain Report
- 2020 American Association of Professional Landmen Annual Meeting06.18.2020
- Young Utility Lawyers' Section of Conference of California Public Utilities Counsel (CCPUC) 2020 Summer Virtual Practice and Procedure CLE06.17.2020
- Nossaman's 2020 Water Webinar Series02.26.2020
- Association of California Water Agencies 2019 Fall Conference & Exhibition12.04.2019
- Nossaman's 2019 Water Webinar Series10.30.2019
- Joint Nossaman/Environmental Law Institute (ELI) Live Webinar10.08.2019
- Joint Nossaman/Environmental Law Institute (ELI) Live Webinar06.12.2019
- Preparedness, Relief, and Recovery: Developments in Disaster Management for California Water ProvidersInternational Right of Way Association/Nossaman Webinar05.15.2019
- Preparedness, Relief, and Recovery: Regulatory Developments in Disaster Management for Water ProvidersNossaman's 2019 Water Webinar Series02.28.2019
- Nossaman Works with Asian Americans Advancing Justice to Assist Pro Bono Clients in Northern California09.24.2020 | Nossaman Announcement
- 08.20.2020 | Best Lawyers in America
- 10.01.2019 | Environmental Law Reporter
Community & Professional
Asian American Bar Association
California Minority Counsel Program
Conference of California Public Utility Counsel, Young Utilities Lawyers section, Co-Chair
Bar Association of San Francisco
Honors & Recognitions
Included in Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch for Administrative / Regulatory Law, 2021
- Columbia University School of Law, J.D., 2014
- University of California, Berkeley, B.S., 2010, with honors
- New York
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York