California Employment Law Update: What You Need to Know to Stay Compliant in 2019
John Kennedy and Allison Callaghan presented the first webinar of our 2019 Employment Webinar Series, "California Employment Law Update: What You Need to Know to Stay Compliant in 2019," on January 17, 2019.
This webinar focused on new California employment laws and regulations, as well as recent case law developments. During this complimentary one-hour webinar, John and Allison reviewed:
- Sweeping changes to sexual harassment law arising from the #MeToo and Time’s Up movements;
- Clarification of the restrictions regarding prior salary and criminal history inquiries;
- Refinement of lactation accommodation requirements;
- Modifications to the Paid Family Leave law;
- Expanded regulatory protections against national origin discrimination; and,
- Landmark cases addressing the applicability of the ADEA to state and political subdivisions, the enforceability of arbitration agreements and class action waivers under the NLRA, the new independent contractor test under California law, the applicability of the federal de minimis rule, and the method for calculating overtime when employees receive flat sum bonuses.
In addition to explaining how these new laws and regulations may apply to your operations and workforce, John and Allison offered practical solutions and best practices for remaining compliant in 2019.
This activity was approved for 1 California recertification credit hour toward aPHR™, PHR®, PHRca®, SPHR®, GPHR®, PHRi™ and SPHRi™ recertification through HR Certification Institute® (HRCI®).
Nossaman LLP is an approved State Bar of California MCLE provider and certifies that this activity was approved for 1 hour of general MCLE credit.