Heads Up! San Francisco Paid Parental Leave Ordinance… Supplementing California Paid Family Leave, Effective January 1, 2017

Nossaman eAlert

San Francisco has become the first U.S. jurisdiction at any level to decree fully paid parental leave for parents to bond with their child.  California currently provides six weeks of partially paid leave through the state EDD disability insurance (SDI) program (55% of pay).  The Paid Parental Leave Ordinance passed by the San Francisco Board of Supervisors and signed by Mayor Ed Lee will require employers to pay the remaining 45% of the employee’s wages for up to six weeks when the employee (mother or father) takes leave to bond with a newborn baby, a newly adopted child, or a new foster child.  The amended ordinance was signed by the Mayor on September 14th.  The ordinance takes effect January 1, 2017.

Employees who will be covered by the new law and entitled to this supplemental wage replacement are those: 

  • who have been employed by that employer at least 180 days prior to the start of the leave;
  • who work for the employer at least 8 hours per week and 40% of total weekly hours in San Francisco; and
  • who are eligible to receive paid leave for purposes of bonding with a new child, under the California Paid Family Leave program through the EDD.

These requirements encompass the great majority of workers in the city, but do not include City or other governmental entity employers.

As of January 1, 2017, the ordinance will apply to all employers who regularly employ 50 or more employees, regardless of location.  This number decreases to 35 on July 1, 2017, and to 20 on January 1, 2018.  Employers not based in San Francisco, but who have employees who work there, must be on alert to ensure compliance. 
 It should be noted, however, that rights under the ordinance can be waived through collective bargaining agreements.  Moreover, in order to receive the supplemental compensation, employees must agree to apply up to two weeks of unused accrued vacation leave.

Employers must be aware that the ordinance includes notice and posting requirements, three-year recordkeeping requirements, and an anti-retaliation provision, rebutted only by clear and convincing evidence that the adverse action was solely for a non-retaliatory reason.  The ordinance provides for enforcement by the San Francisco Office of Labor Standards Enforcement and the City of San Francisco.  The ordinance also provides a private right of civil action, only if, after serving written notice on the OLSE and City, no action is brought by either entity within 90 days of such notice.  Remedies include reinstatement, back pay, liquidated damages, and/or injunctive relief, plus attorneys’ fees and costs.

All covered employers should move to revise their existing policies and procedures, and will likely need to amend employee handbooks.  Payroll employees must be made aware of the requirement to pay the remainder of the employee’s wages, when an employee takes parental leave.

How Nossaman Can Help
Nossaman's Employment Practice Group provides client-focused, high caliber legal services that exceed our clients’ expectations within their legal budgets.  Our employment attorneys provide litigation, counseling, advice, and training services to private and public companies and public entities throughout California, as well as meeting their out-of-state-needs.  The scope of our representation runs the full gamut from prosecuting misappropriation of trade secrets to defending wrongful termination claims (discrimination/harassment/public policy) and wage and hour class actions.  We also have been on the front line of e-discovery, privacy rights, cybersecurity, data breach and workplace violence prevention.  We stay on top of emerging employment issues and are well prepared to counsel our clients on how to address and control related issues.

Twitter Facebook LinkedIn PDF


Related Practices

Jump to Page

We use cookies on this website to improve functionality, enhance performance, analyze website traffic and to enable social media features. To learn more, please see our Privacy Policy and our Terms & Conditions for additional detail.