We’ve earned a prominent, state-wide reputation for our creative, skilled, and efficient representation of businesses facing eminent domain.
Our attorneys – who comprise one of the largest single eminent domain groups in the State – regularly achieve top-notch results in condemnation proceedings, starting even before the government files the action, through trial, and, if necessary, appeal.
Our expertise helps business owners in the following areas:
- Precondemnation planning efforts to minimize the impacts of a taking and to maximize recovery
- Opposing the government's effort to obtain prejudgment possession
- Thwarting unreasonable precondemnation delay and other government pre-litigation and litigation tactics that can lead to blight and damage claims
- Right-to-take challenges that can delay or even prevent a taking
- Claims of loss of business goodwill and other business losses
- Mediations, arbitrations, court trials, and jury trials
- Appeals before the Courts of Appeal and the California Supreme Court
The successes of our Eminent Domain & Valuation Group consistently garner attention throughout California. Our condemnation experience includes presenting creative valuation concepts for a broad range of businesses. We have represented business owners who operate "mom-and-pop"-type auto shops, restaurants, and other small and family-owned businesses, as well as lumber companies, automotive dealerships, large industrial operators, and major "big box" retailers.
We have tried scores of jury and court trials, argued dozens of cases before the Courts of Appeal and California Supreme Court, and negotiated settlements in hundreds of other cases.
What can business owners do when faced with the eminent domain process?
We have prepared a booklet that describes generally the eminent domain process and the types of compensation to which landowners and business owners may be entitled.
- 10.01.2021 | LexisNexis, A Practical Guidance® Practice Note
- 09.08.2020 | Nossaman eAlert
- 06.16.2011 | Daily Journal
- 05.23.2022 | California Eminent Domain Report
- 09.20.2021 | California Eminent Domain Report
- 03.10.2021 | California Eminent Domain Report
- 07.31.2020 | California Eminent Domain Report
- 03.03.2020 | California Eminent Domain Report
- 01.09.2020 | California Eminent Domain Report