We helped a property owner fend off a school district’s efforts to condemn the property through various right-to-take challenges and CEQA-challenges.
Our Eminent Domain & Valuation attorneys have an unrivaled track record of success in representing California land owners and property owners. Our condemnation lawyers have a prominent, statewide reputation for creative, skillful and efficient representation of private landowners facing eminent domain.
We comprise one of the largest single eminent domain groups in the State. Our team regularly achieves top-notch results in private property condemnation proceedings, starting even before the government files the action and continuing through trial and, if necessary, appeal.
More specifically, we have expertise in the following areas:
- Precondemnation planning efforts to minimize the impacts of a taking and to maximize recovery
- Opposing the government's effort to obtain prejudgment possession
- Contesting unreasonable precondemnation delay and other government pre-litigation and litigation tactics that can lead to blight and claims for damages
- Right-to-take challenges that can delay or even prevent a taking
- Real property valuation
- Severance damages in which the government acquires only part of the property
- Inverse condemnation and regulatory takings
- Mediations, arbitrations, court trials, and jury trials
- Appeals before the Courts of Appeal and the California Supreme Court
Our Eminent Domain & Valuation Group’s successes consistently garner attention throughout California. Our condemnation experience includes presenting creative valuation concepts for a broad range of property types. We have expertise litigating cases involving raw, undeveloped land (including agricultural land, open space, and land ripe for future development); commercial properties ranging from small, single-tenant properties to massive, multi-tenant shopping centers; residential properties ranging from single-family homes to apartment buildings with hundreds of units; and all types of industrial properties.
We have tried scores of jury and court trials, argued dozens of cases before the Courts of Appeal and California Supreme Court, and negotiated settlements in hundreds of other cases.
What do private land owners do when faced with the eminent domain process?
We have prepared a booklet for private land owners and property owners that generally describes the eminent domain process and the types of compensation to which land and property owners may be entitled.
- 04.25.2022 | Daily Journal
- 01.11.2022 | Nossaman Report
- 10.01.2021 | LexisNexis, A Practical Guidance® Practice Note
- 06.22.2021 | Law360
- 09.08.2020 | Nossaman eAlert
- California to Consider Significant Change to Eminent Domain Law Regarding a Condemnee's Right to Recover Litigation Expenses02.21.2017 | Nossaman eAlert
- 12.15.2022 | California Eminent Domain Report
- 11.15.2022 | California Eminent Domain Report
- 11.08.2022 | California Eminent Domain Report
- 08.09.2022 | California Eminent Domain Report
- 09.20.2021 | California Eminent Domain Report
- Does California Legislation’s Proposed Voluntary Coastal Property Acquisition Program Address Sea Level Rise?05.28.2021 | California Eminent Domain Report
- 05.18.2021 | California Water Views
- 05.18.2021 | California Eminent Domain Report
- 04.03.2021 | California Eminent Domain Report
- 04.01.2021 | California Eminent Domain Report
- 03.10.2021 | California Eminent Domain Report
- 12.03.2020 | California Eminent Domain Report
- 10.28.2020 | California Eminent Domain Report
- 09.08.2020 | California Eminent Domain Report
- 07.31.2020 | California Eminent Domain Report
- 03.03.2020 | California Eminent Domain Report
- 01.14.2020 | California Eminent Domain Report
- 01.09.2020 | California Eminent Domain Report
- 01.07.2020 | California Eminent Domain Report
- 03.28.2023 | Costa Mesa, CA
- 03.14.2023 | San Francisco, CA
- Eminent Domain From Start to Finish: Streamlining the Basics & Navigating the Complexities from Precondemnation to Litigation03.26.2019 | San Francisco, CA
- 07.20.2015 | Chicago, IL
- 03.20.2014 | Costa Mesa, CA
- 10.02.2013 | Riverside, CA
- 06.14.2021 | The Legal 500