We helped a property owner fend off a school district’s efforts to condemn the property through various right-to-take challenges and CEQA-challenges.
Our Eminent Domain & Valuation Group has an unrivaled track record of success in representing California property owners. Our condemnation lawyers have a prominent, statewide reputation for creative, competent, and efficient representation of those facing eminent domain.
We comprise one of the largest single eminent domain groups in the State. Our team regularly achieves top-notch results in condemnation proceedings, starting even before the government files the action and continuing through trial and, if necessary, appeal.
More specifically, we have expertise in the following areas:
- Precondemnation planning efforts to minimize the impacts of a taking and to maximize recovery
- Opposing the government's effort to obtain prejudgment possession
- Unreasonable precondemnation delay and other government pre-litigation and litigation tactics that can lead to blight and claims for damages
- Right-to-take challenges that can delay or even prevent a taking
- Real property valuation
- Severance damages in situations where the government acquires only part of the property
- Inverse condemnation and regulatory takings
- Mediations, arbitrations, court trials, and jury trials
- Appeals before the Courts of Appeal and the California Supreme Court
Our attorneys have prepared a booklet that generally describes the eminent domain process and the types of compensation to which landowners and business owners may be entitled. Request a free printable version of Nossaman's Eminent Domain Guide.
Our Eminent Domain & Valuation Group’s successes consistently garner attention throughout California. Our condemnation experience includes presenting creative valuation theories for a broad range of property types. We have expertise litigating cases involving raw, undeveloped land (including agricultural land, open space, and land ripe for future development); commercial properties ranging from small, single-tenant properties to massive, multi-tenant shopping centers; residential properties ranging from single-family homes to apartment buildings with hundreds of units; and all types of industrial properties.
We have tried scores of jury and court trials, have argued dozens of cases before the Courts of Appeal and California Supreme Court, and have negotiated settlements in hundreds of other cases.