David Farkas represents corporate and public entity clients in complex business litigation principally involving real estate, construction, mass transit, insurance coverage and healthcare disputes. He has litigated an array of claims, including fraud, federal and state false claims, breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, conversion, legal malpractice, business torts and unfair competition. He is experienced in all stages of litigation, from inception through trial, including developing litigation strategy; law and motion practice; handling all written and e-discovery; taking/defending depositions; and trying cases to final judgment. David’s extensive and varied experience and skills, combined with a unique level of finesse, allow the Firm’s clients to achieve successful outcomes while saving time and expense.
Drawing on his prior experience in-house, David also provides legal and regulatory advice to minimize litigation and business risk. In addition, he has negotiated and prepared a wide range of complex business and related agreements.
- Represented a national chain of dental care clinics in successfully resolving litigation involving a major commercial lease dispute for a fraction of the amount demanded by the landlord.
- Defended several property developers and construction companies in cases alleging substandard construction and other misconduct involving various residential properties.
- Represented a licensed real estate broker, agent and investor in multimillion-dollar litigation related to the purchase, sale and management of numerous multi-family properties.
- Represented an owner of various apartment buildings and other large properties in arbitration proceedings seeking to resolve insurance coverage and related disputes.
- Defended major health care organizations and affiliated entities in provider disputes, other healthcare-related matters, insurance coverage disputes and commercial litigation.
- Represented a large hospital and affiliated companies in major federal and state litigation raising complex RICO, fraud and related claims, helping to minimize liability and resulting losses and obtaining contribution and indemnity from other responsible parties.
- Key member of trial team that obtained a $168 million jury verdict for breach of fiduciary duty and negligence on behalf of the FDIC, as receiver, against former officers of the Homebuilder Division of the failed IndyMac Bank (FDIC-R v. Van Dellen, et al. (C.D. Cal.)).
- Second-chaired a multi-phase trial of a $350 million breach of contract and false claims lawsuit brought by the Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority against several construction management companies, which required litigating multifaceted government cost accounting issues under the Federal Acquisition Regulations and Cost Accounting Standards
- 10.25.2023 | Nossaman News Release