Key Issues and Trends in ASC Mergers and Acquisitions
On April 28, 2021, Ron Grace moderated a webinar hosted by the California Ambulatory Surgery Association (CASA) on "Key Issues and Trends in ASC Mergers and Acquisitions." ASCs are well positioned for growth in 2021 and beyond with the COVID-19 pandemic having accelerated the move away from large traditional hospital institutions and expedited the move toward the ambulatory environment. This has led to an increased interest in partnering with ASCs in order to not be left out of this movement.
This program discussed the trends for ASC ownership structure and how ASCs can position themselves to maximize the opportunities. The esteemed panel of speakers represented diverse viewpoints from private equity, health system/hospital, ASC corporate management and the legal industry. They dove into the history of ASC structures and what we can expect moving forward, including threats to free market and important legal considerations. The panel discussed:
- Differences between ASC mergers five years ago against future opportunities;
- Trends for ASC partnerships;
- Emerging threats to the ASC free market space;
- Impacts mergers can have on payor contracts; and
- Key legal structure and terms critical to ASC mergers and acquisitions.