We understand that clients' business objectives and coverage needs go hand in hand.
With decades of experience representing policyholders in all aspects of insurance law, our distinguished recovery attorneys have developed a strong reputation and track record for successfully litigating high profile, landmark insurance cases at the trial and appellate courts. We have recovered more than $2 billion in policy benefits for clients, which include public and private entities across a broad spectrum of industries and coverage areas.
Serving Clients' Unique Insurance Recovery Needs
Clients face unique challenges resulting in specialized coverage needs. We provide a full spectrum of counseling, advisory and litigation services to address clients' business objectives and widespread needs, including:
- Evaluating Coverage: Are your current insurance policies really covering you?
Insurance policies are technical documents. We analyze current insurance coverage to ensure client expectations are being met.
- Identifying Risk: Does your company have the appropriate coverage to meet its business needs?
Every company has unique insurance needs. We recommend coverage so clients will be protected from potential exposures. We can also assist in negotiating custom insurance terms ("manuscripting") as appropriate.
- Advising on Your Options: Do you need to understand your legal choices when your carrier is failing to live up to its end of the bargain?
Insurance companies are renowned for denying coverage to their policyholders and for underpaying claims when they do pay. We provide guidance to clients when their insurance company fails to honor its obligation.
- Pursuing Your Claims: Do you need to fight for the claims you know you are entitled to?
We have experienced litigators who have recovered billions of dollars for clients through litigation, arbitration and mediation.
- Cyber Insurance: Are you protected?
Our attorneys are experts in the evolving line of cyber insurance products, providing advice to clients on their existing insurance portfolios and recovery options to minimize losses in the event of a data breach or other cyber attack. Our insurance recovery attorneys frequently present and author articles regarding the security challenges faced by companies today, and the cyber insurance landscape.
Advertising, Agribusiness, Automotive, Construction, Energy, Environmental, Government, Healthcare, Import & Export, Investment & Asset Management, Life Sciences, Manufacturing, Real Estate, Retail, Technology
Asbestos, Builder’s Risk, Business Interruption, Commercial General Liability, Cyber Insurance, Data Breach, Directors and Officers, Environmental Liability and Cost Cap, Employment and Workers’ Compensation, Errors and Omissions, Fidelity and Bond, OCIP and CCIP Construction Policies, Property and Casualty, Personal Lines, Umbrella and Excess
Experience and Success
Our insurance recovery attorneys have achieved tremendous success representing clients in litigation based on innovative strategies and unique theories. Some of our greatest achievements include:
- Representing an international aerospace manufacturer that had been sued for groundwater contamination and obtaining a full defense after summary judgment and thereafter had the coverage case stayed pending the successful defense of the underlying lawsuit.
- Representing governmental entities that had been sued in groundwater pollution cases, recovering hundreds of millions in investigative and clean-up costs from scores of insurers and establishing the right of policyholders to stack limits of multiple policies in continuous loss cases under "all sums" insurance policies.
- Representing a building materials manufacturer that had used materials containing asbestos in its products for decades before the dangers of asbestos use had become known, in coverage litigation spanning several decades of coverage. We tried Phase 1 to the court for an entire year; settled most of the remaining issues, recovering coverage of about $1 billion.
- Filing a lawsuit against D&O and EPL insurers and successfully recovering defense expenses for a tech client. Previously, this client had obtained a jury verdict in a lawsuit brought by a former officer related to securities and misrepresentation claims.
- Recovering settlement and defense expenses for a client from insurers who provided coverage dating back over 40 years—all without filing litigation.
- Obtaining insurance reimbursement for litigation expenses, without filing lawsuit, in high-stakes patent infringement litigation for a software manufacturer.
- Obtaining coverage from legacy insurers for settlement and defense expense for dozens of asbestos cases filed against manufacturer over the course of 20 years.
- Everything Local Public Agencies Need to Know About California’s New Rules on Virtual Meetings During the Pandemic09.17.2021 | Nossaman eAlert
- 02.16.2021 | Nossaman eAlert
- 04.16.2020 | Nossaman On-Demand Webinar
- 04.09.2020 | Nossaman eAlert
- 09.01.2018 | Tort Source
- 05.01.2018 | Nossaman eAlert
- 04.03.2018 | Nossaman eAlert
- 03.15.2018 | Law360
- The Ninth Circuit Bars Wrongful Act Coverage Against TCPA Claims Despite Strong Dissenting Opinion that Majority Misconstrued the TCPA08.28.2017 | Nossaman eAlert
- 07.10.2017 | Nossaman eAlert
- 11.02.2016 | Nossaman eAlert
- 11.02.2016 | Hotel News Now
- Fall 2016 | California Health Law News
- 04.13.2016 | Nossaman eAlert
- 10.29.2015 | Law360
- 10.16.2015 | Daily Journal
- 09.17.2015 | Los Angeles Lawyer
- 07.08.2015 | Law360
- 05.19.2015 | Law360
- 05.05.2015 | Nossaman eAlert
- 10.08.2014 | Daily Journal
- 12.20.2013 | Law360
- 08.13.2013 | Daily Journal
- 06.26.2012 | Daily Journal
- 08.05.2010 | Daily Journal
- 05.26.2010 | Daily Journal
- 05.18.2010 | Nossaman eAlert
- 09.01.2009 | Daily Journal
- 03.16.2009 | Nossaman eAlert
- 02.10.2009 | Nossaman eAlert
- 04.13.2020 | California Water Views
- 04.09.2020 | California Water Views
- 12.06.2021 – 12.07.2021
- 07.19.2021 - 07.20.2021 | San Diego, CA
- 09.30.2020 - 10.02.2020
- 11.14.2019 | Monterey, CA
- 10.08.2019 | Seattle, WA
- 02.20.2019 | Tempe, AZ
- 02.01.2019 | Oakland, CA
- 11.14.2018 | Pasadena, CA
- 10.01.2018 | Truckee, CA
- 02.23.2018 | Phoenix, AZ
- 07.27.2016 | Las Vegas, NV
- 04.08.2016 | Monterey, CA
- 02.18.2016 | Phoenix, AZ
- 10.28.2015 | Santa Clara, CA
- 10.12.2015 | Los Angeles, CA
- Dodging Bullets at the O.K. Corral: How to Investigate and Resolve the Many Issues that Arise in a Questionable Jewellery Loss Without Resorting to Cowgirl Tactics or Litigation10.24.2014 | St. Julians, Malta
- 05.05.2009 | San Francisco, CA
- 11.01.2021 | U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers
- 08.16.2021 | Nossaman News Release
- 11.11.2020 | U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers
- 08.20.2020 | Best Lawyers in America
- 08.12.2020 | Daily Journal
- 02.2020 | Daily Beat and Metropolitan News
- 11.2019 | U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers
- 02.11.2015 | Law360
- 05.01.2013 | Law360
- 04.22.2013 | Law360
- 11.16.2012 | U.S. News Media Group and Best Lawyers
- 03.23.2011 | San Francisco Attorney
- 11.19.2010 | Daily Journal
- 10.29.2010 | Daily Journal
- 10.18.2010 | The Recorder
- 06.15.2007 | California Insurance Law & Litigation Alert