Michael Stroud brings more than 15 years of legal and legislative policy expertise in infrastructure, national security, tax, transportation, trade, state and local municipal government, and water and wastewater utility. He has experience representing a massive multimodal transportation and urban redevelopment project in Maryland, several cannabis-related clients, and managed the legislative portfolios of big box retailers, especially focusing in the pet supplies and pet retail areas. Michael also represents several international clients at the highest levels of government. He has advised clients on federal campaign and lobby laws, gift rules, ethics compliance, and investigations.
Prior to joining Nossaman, Michael held several roles in international trade and national security, serving as the Congressional Relations Officer for the U.S. International Trade Commission, serving as the principal liaison for the USITC to Congress. He also worked as an international trade attorney in private practice and at the U.S. Department of Commerce handling unfair trade cases.
On Capitol Hill, Michael previously served as Deputy Chief Counsel on the U.S. House of Representatives Committee on Homeland Security and held several roles at the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS). At DHS, he was a Presidential appointee and held the titles of Deputy Assistant Secretary for Legislative Affairs and Assistant Secretary (Acting) for the Private Sector. His work focused on trade, travel, port and transportation security and assisted with serving as a liaison between the Hill, the private sector, and DHS.
After DHS, Michael served as the Director of Intergovernmental Relations for WSSC, nation’s eighth-largest water utility, where he oversaw the government relations strategies for a $1.1 billion water and wastewater utility.
While working for the nation's 8th largest water utility, WSSC, Michael was successful in securing an opportunity for the WSSC General Manager & Chief Executive Officer to testify before the United States Senate Environment & Public Works Committee. He was also successful in his representation of WSSC to secure site visits with State and Local elected officials and United States Senators and Representatives, and congressional committee staff for purposes of highlighting funding needs and necessary infrastructure improvements. Michael also spared vulnerable WSSC customers a nearly 20% rate increase by securing legislative authority allowing WSSC to implement a customer assistance program for low-income customers allowing WSSC to pay the infrastructure replacement fee for certain qualified customers. By securing and implementing this authorization and program, WSSC developed a predictable and reliable ongoing infrastructure replacement schedule but increased cost-efficiencies from avoiding large amounts of accounts receivable from unpaid infrastructure fees. Thus, the Customer Assistance Program saved WSSC time and effort, and providing predictability for infrastructure replacement costs. The program is now a model for other nearby water utilities.
GOVERNMENT SUPPORT & FUNDING
- Led the team to secure a $20 million grant for a multimodal port client, assisted with solving issues pertaining to immigration and tax funding, especially around the EB-5 investor-based visa
- Arranged client meetings with the Cabinet and Sub-Cabinet-Level leadership of federal agencies, including Department of Homeland Security, Treasury, Commerce, and others, such as the Department of Transportation’s Maritime Administration and the Department of Homeland Security’s Customs and Border Protection and United States Coast Guard.
- Led efforts on appropriations legislation to obtain legislative changes to advance clients’ interests in the alcohol and cannabis industries. Worked on projects to secure and help increase a client’s profile during the legislative process for privately-held ports and maritime facilities.
- Led effort to obtain favorable tax legislation to assist national retailers, including securing the introduction of legislation to improve companies financial standing and to help retailers provide more high-paying jobs.
- Worked to advance changes to the Opportunity Zones legislation impacting zero-population and low-population industrial sites.
- Worked on efforts to advance aviation security and companies seeking to preview their technology before federal agencies. Secured Congressional interest to advance clients’ goals and objectives. Worked to resolve various issues with the different components of the Department of Homeland Security, including U.S. Customs and Border Protection, Federal Emergency Management Agency, Transportation Security Administration, United States Coast Guard, and the Department’s Headquarters.
DISASTER PREPAREDNESS & RESPONSE
- Advise clients on the FEMA and larger State and Federal government response to natural disasters, such as hurricanes and wildfires, and other emergencies, such as biological contaminations and critical infrastructure impact.
- Prepared witnesses for congressional testimony.
- Secured appropriations language benefiting clients and the alcohol and cannabis industry.
- Worked to advance tax, trade, and transportation legislation impacting all modes of surface, rail, and maritime transportation.
- Represented clients during agency rulemaking and regulatory development processes.
- 01.21.2021 | Nossaman eAlert
- 01.12.2021 | Nossaman eAlert
- 10.29.2020 | Nossaman eAlert
- 07.02.2020 | Nossaman eAlert
- 06.17.2020 | Nossaman eAlert
- 04.09.2020 | Nossaman eAlert
- 04.02.2020 | Nossaman eAlert
- 03.24.2020 | Nossaman eAlert
- 01.14.2020 | Nossaman eAlert
- 02.18.2021 | The Health Law Ticker
- 12.17.2020 | California Water Views
- 12.15.2020 | California Water Views
- WEBINAR: Flood or Drought? A Discussion of the Election’s Potential Legislative Impacts on the Water Sector11.18.2020 | California Water Views
- 04.13.2020 | California Water Views
- 04.09.2020 | California Water Views
- CONSULEGIS Webinar02.18.2021
- Nossaman's 2020 Water Webinar Series12.03.2020
- American Conference Institute’s 4th Annual Advanced Summit on Food Law – Regulation, Compliance and Litigation07.15.2020
- Nossaman's 2020 Water Webinar Series04.16.2020
- 01.07.2021 | Law360
- 03.03.2020 | The Hill
- Nossaman Expands DC Office, Government Relations & Regulation Group with Michael Stroud and William Powers07.16.2019 | Nossaman News Release
Community & Professional
District of Columbia Bar Association, International Section Member
Washington Government Relations Group
Cornell University Football Association