Michael Stroud brings more than 15 years of legal and legislative policy expertise in infrastructure, national security, transportation, state and local municipal government. He has experience serving as:
- An Obama Administration appointee, holding the titles of Deputy Assistant Secretary for Legislative Affairs and Assistant Secretary (Acting) for the Private Sector at the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS), focusing on port and transportation security and assisting with serving as a liaison between the Hill, the private sector and DHS;
- Deputy Chief Counsel on the U.S. House of Representatives Committee on Homeland Security;
- Lobbyist to secure nearly $30 million in U.S. Department of Transportation (“USDOT”) grant funding, including for the TIGER/BUILD and Port Infrastructure programs; and
- Congressional Relations Officer for the U.S. International Trade Commission (”USITC”), serving as the principal liaison for the USITC to Congress.
Michael provides federal legislative and legal services to a multimodal transportation and urban redevelopment project in Maryland, brick-and-mortar retailers, especially focusing in the pet supplies and pet retail. He has advised clients on federal campaign and lobby laws, gift rules, ethics compliance and investigations.
Michael’s federal government relations experience, including his time before joining Nossaman, includes:
- Harbor Department of City of Los Angeles, California (Port of Los Angeles)
- Tradepoint Atlantic
- Siskiyou County, California
- City of Antioch, California
- Redwood Capital
- Petland, Inc.
- Coastal Pet Products, Inc.
- Mid-West Homes For Pets
- Proximo Spirits
- Mt. San Antonio College
- North Orange Community College District
- Lakeshore Beverage
- Apparent, Inc.
- National Cannabis Industry Association
GOVERNMENT SUPPORT & FUNDING
- Led the team to secure a $20 million grant for a multimodal port client and helped the same client obtain another nearly $10 million in additional federal grant funding; led team to secure nearly $30 million in USDOT funds within three years.
- Assisted an infrastructure client with solving issues pertaining to immigration and tax funding, especially around the EB-5 investor-based visa.
- Arranged client meetings with the Cabinet and Sub-Cabinet-Level leadership of federal agencies, including Department of Homeland Security, Treasury, Commerce, and others, such as the Department of Transportation’s Maritime Administration and the Department of Homeland Security’s Customs and Border Protection and United States Coast Guard.
- Led efforts on appropriations legislation to obtain legislative changes to advance clients’ interests in the alcohol and cannabis industries. Worked on projects to secure and help increase a client’s profile during the legislative process for privately-held ports and maritime facilities.
- Led effort to obtain favorable tax legislation to assist national retailers, including securing the introduction of legislation to improve companies financial standing and to help retailers provide more high-paying jobs.
- Worked to advance changes to the Opportunity Zones legislation impacting zero-population and low-population industrial sites.
- Worked on efforts to advance aviation security and companies seeking to preview their technology before federal agencies. Secured Congressional interest to advance clients’ goals and objectives. Worked to resolve various issues with the different components of the Department of Homeland Security, including U.S. Customs and Border Protection, Federal Emergency Management Agency, Transportation Security Administration, United States Coast Guard, and the Department’s Headquarters.
DISASTER PREPAREDNESS & RESPONSE
- Advise clients on the FEMA and larger State and Federal government response to natural disasters, such as hurricanes and wildfires, and other emergencies, such as biological contaminations and critical infrastructure impact.
- Prepared witnesses for congressional testimony.
- Secured appropriations language benefiting clients and the alcohol and cannabis industry.
- Worked to advance tax, trade, and transportation legislation impacting all modes of surface, rail, and maritime transportation.
- Represented clients during agency rulemaking and regulatory development processes.
- 10.05.2021 | Nossaman eAlert
- 09.23.2021 | Nossaman eAlert
- 09.09.2021 | Nossaman eAlert
- 03.18.2021 | Nossaman eAlert
- 02.26.2021 | Law360
- 01.21.2021 | Nossaman eAlert
- 01.12.2021 | Nossaman eAlert
- 10.29.2020 | Nossaman eAlert
- 07.02.2020 | Nossaman eAlert
- 06.17.2020 | Nossaman eAlert
- 04.09.2020 | Nossaman eAlert
- 04.02.2020 | Nossaman eAlert
- 03.24.2020 | Nossaman eAlert
- 01.14.2020 | Nossaman eAlert
- 02.18.2021 | The Health Law Ticker
- 12.17.2020 | California Water Views
- 12.15.2020 | California Water Views
- WEBINAR: Flood or Drought? A Discussion of the Election’s Potential Legislative Impacts on the Water Sector11.18.2020 | California Water Views
- 04.13.2020 | California Water Views
- 04.09.2020 | California Water Views
- Nossaman's 2021 Water Webinar Series11.16.2021
- CONSULEGIS Webinar02.18.2021
- Nossaman's 2020 Water Webinar Series12.03.2020
- American Conference Institute’s 4th Annual Advanced Summit on Food Law – Regulation, Compliance and Litigation07.15.2020
- Nossaman's 2020 Water Webinar Series04.16.2020
- 01.07.2021 | Law360
- 03.03.2020 | The Hill
- Nossaman Expands DC Office, Government Relations & Regulation Group with Michael Stroud and William Powers07.16.2019 | Nossaman News Release
Community & Professional
District of Columbia Bar Association, International Section Member
Washington Government Relations Group
Cornell University Football Association