Peggy Bennett’s practice focuses on criminal defense, white collar criminal defense, administrative enforcement matters, campus disciplinary actions, Title IX matters and SORNA registration. She has represented clients under investigation by the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ), the U.S. Security and Exchange Commission (SEC), the Consumer Financial protection Bureau (CFPB) and the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA).
During her career, Peggy has worked for both the prosecution and the defense, providing a unique perspective in analyzing a case. She began her career as a Public Defender at the Legal Aid Society in New York City and returned to her hometown when she was appointed as an Assistant U.S. Attorney for the District of Columbia. Peggy has tried more than 80 cases to verdict, and has a proven track record of disposing of matters before they culminate in charges. Peggy’s litigation experience includes handling cases in local and federal court, as well as the London Court of International Arbitration.
Peggy maintains an active and diverse pro bono practice and is an active member of her community.
- Represented an individual charged under the RICO conspiracy act in the mass arrest of peaceful protesters during the 2018 Inauguration and ultimately had the matter dismissed.
- Successfully represented a wealth manager in an investigation by FINRA.
- Part of a team that secured a significant sentence reduction for an individual in front of the Montana Supreme Court.
- Successful in sealing arrest records in the District of Columbia under the Actual Innocence statute.
- Routinely represents individuals facing grand jury investigations in both local and federal courts.
- Represents individuals who are the victims of crimes in navigating the State and Federal criminal justice system.
- Represented a documentary filmmaker in the January 6th Congressional investigation and hearings.
- Represented an individual in an arbitration matter in the London Court of Arbitration.
- Represented an individual involved in the Durham Investigation.
- Represented an individual before the grand jury in an international matter being investigated by the UK Serious Fraud Office and the U.S. Department of Justice.
- Represented an individual in a PPP case.
- Advised a chapter of a national fraternity on compliance matters.
- Represented numerous individuals in employment disputes with major U.S. companies.
- Represented individuals in healthcare investigations by the U.S. Department of Justice.
- Represented land development company in relation to various business disputes.
- Represented an individual who was charged with government contracting fraud.
- Represented an individual facing the death penalty in Federal Court in Maryland.
- Women’s White Collar Defense Association – Washington, DC07.26.2023
- Brainstorming Session about PPP Criminal Loan Fraud Investigations and CasesWWCDA Watercooler Plus01.07.2021
- 08.23.2023 | Local News Live
- 08.17.2023 | Best Lawyers
- 05.04.2023 | Nossaman News Release
Community & Professional
Litigation Counsel of America, Fellow
Edward Bennett Williams Inn of Court, Member
John Carroll Society, Member
National Association of Criminal defense Attorneys (NACDL), Member
Women’s White Collar Defense Association (WWCDA), Member
Honors & Recognitions
Included in The Best Lawyers in America© for Family Law, 2022-2024
- New York University School of Law, J.D.
- The New School, Eugene Lang College of Liberal, B.A.
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, District of Maryland
- New York
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, District of Columbia