Veronica Gray is a prominent trial attorney in Orange County, California with more than four decades of experience litigating and negotiating employment issues for her clients. She represents employers throughout California, as well as meeting their out-of-state needs.
Veronica provides counseling, advice, investigations, training, and litigation services to privately-held companies and public entities in a broad array of employment and labor related matters including defending class actions related to wage and hour, and defending sole plaintiff wrongful terminations, discrimination, and harassment actions. She also prosecutes and defends unfair competition and trade secret matter. Advice and counsel include labor related issues, data breach/cybersecurity, website compliance, executive employment agreements and benefits, severance and separation agreements, leave laws, reductions in force, record retention, e-discovery, audits, and social media. What distinguishes Veronica is her strategic creative approach in addressing her clients’ needs and resolutions that are smart and effective. Veronica has not only mastered the nuances of employment law, but is skilled in bet the company cases. She thrives on tough cases and knows how to win.
Veronica counsels employers on how to execute workplace standards that both contribute to the overall stability of their organizations and comport with state and federal laws. Her experience runs the gamut of strategizing and negotiating to agency hearings, mediation, arbitration, and trials on an administrative, federal and state level. She leads a team of accomplished litigators, with a track record of success in high profile cases. Her team regularly counsels clients and appears before state and federal agencies such as the DLSE, DOL, FEHA, EEOC, and PERB.
Over the span of Veronica's career, she has taken on leadership roles in many professional and philanthropic organizations on a local and international level with a focus on micro-enterprise and children's education. She is also a passionate photographer and her remote travel has allowed her to capture the striking close-up images of indigenous people world-wide (www.veronicagrayphotography.com). She has donated her photography to many non-profits to support their fund raising efforts and her work has been on display at the Chapman University School of Law and the Peter Blake Gallery in Orange County, in Orange Coast Magazine, and at the FotoCare Gallery and the Consulate General of the Republic of Poland in New York.
A high-performing, effective trainer and mentor, Veronica regularly presents to public agencies, privately-held companies, and industry groups on employment topics and industry trends impacting employers in addition to leading the Firm’s annual Employment Law Update series. She has been recognized for her work by Los Angeles magazine as a Southern California "Super Lawyer" in Employment & Labor and included in OC Metro magazine’s annual list of Top Attorneys as one of the region’s top-rated Employment lawyers. She is AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell.
- City of Oakland. Nossaman serves as outside employment law counsel to assist the City Attorney’s Office with advising and counseling on a variety of issues including wage-and-hour, contracting-out, leave laws, disciplinary matters, and contract issues. Nossaman represents the City in arbitrations and before the Public Employee’s Relations Board. Serving in this capacity for nearly six years now, Nossaman has handled over sixty litigation matters, including lawsuits, arbitrations, grievances, and PERB hearings. Nossaman has handled a similar number of employment related tasks, including MOU interpretations and settlements. We do not, however, handle collective bargaining negotiations.
- City of Cupertino. Nossaman serves as outside employment law counsel to assist the City Attorney’s Office with advising and counseling on a variety of issues including wage-and-hour, contracting-out, leave laws, disciplinary matters, and contract issues. We do not, however, handle collective bargaining negotiations
- Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation. Nossaman has handled multiple employment related actions against IndyMac Bank and its affiliates; including wage and hour class actions, discrimination/harassment matters, executive compensation and wrongful terminations.
- Performs due diligence for out of state companies doing business in California to ensure compliance with California related employment laws.
- Successfully defended/settled actions for various alleged sole plaintiff and class action wage and hour violations.
- Successfully defended employers in actions for alleged wrongful termination of employment in violation of public policy, discrimination, and/or retaliation.
- Successfully defended employers in actions for sexual harassment.
- Successfully defended employers in actions for misclassification of employees.
- Successfully represented employers in Department of Labor Audits.
- Successfully represented clients in unfair competition and trade secret litigation.
- Successfully defended employers in data breach and website compliance matters.
- Hold the Pickle—and the Meal Break: California Supreme Court Holds that Healthcare Workers May Voluntarily Waive Second Meal Period Even When Shifts Last More Than 12 Hours01.08.2019 | Nossaman eAlert
- On Your Mark, Get Set, Review! Roundup of 2019 California Sexual Harassment Prevention Related Legislation10.16.2018 | Nossaman eAlert
- An Epic Win for Employers: SCOTUS Upholds the Enforceability of Class Action Waivers in Arbitration Agreements05.24.2018 | Nossaman eAlert
- 05.22.2018 | Nossaman eAlert
- 01.16.2018 | Nossaman eAlert
- 01.04.2018 | Nossaman eAlert
- 11.16.2017 | Nossaman eAlert
- 11.08.2017 | Nossaman eAlert
- New Law Prohibits Private & Public Employers in California from Seeking or Relying on Job Applicants' Salary Histories10.31.2017 | Nossaman eAlert
- 10.23.2017 | Nossaman eAlert
- New California Regulations Further Limit Employers' Ability to Use Criminal History in Making Employment Decisions06.16.2017 | Nossaman eAlert
- 06.01.2017 | Nossaman eAlert
- Seventh Circuit Issues Landmark Decision Holding Title VII Prohibits Sexual Orientation Discrimination05.16.2017 | Nossaman eAlert
- 05.11.2017 | Nossaman eAlert
- 04.18.2017 | Nossaman eAlert
- 04.05.2017 | Nossaman eAlert
- 01.19.2017 | Nossaman eAlert
- 01.05.2017 | Nossaman eAlert
- 05.17.2011 | Nossaman eAlert
- Hold the Pickle—and the Meal Break: California Supreme Court Holds That Healthcare Workers May Voluntarily Waive Second Meal Period Even When Shifts Last More Than 12 Hours01.11.2019 | The Health Law Ticker
- 01.18.2018 | The Health Law Ticker
- 05.15.2017 | The Health Law Ticker
- 30th Annual All Hands Meeting10.16.2018
- California Ambulatory Surgery Association 2018 Annual Conference & Exhibits09.05.2018
- California Special Districts Association General Manager Leadership Summit06.25.2018
- State Association of County Retirement Systems 2018 Spring Conference05.15.2018
- Women in Law & Leadership Summit – Silicon Valley04.19.2018
- Nossaman's Annual Employment Law SeminarWinter 2018
- 29th Annual All Hands Meeting10.18.2017
- State Association of County Retirement Systems’ Spring Conference 201705.18.2017
- 28th Annual All Hands Meeting11.17.2016
- COPE or BYOD for Enterprise Mobility? Evaluating the Legal and Practical Implications of Each Policy TypeBLR's Advanced Employment Issues Symposium11.10.2016
- 11th Annual California Employment Law Update10.21.2016
- Nossaman LLP MCLE Program04.24.2015
- 2009 Employment Law UpdateCalifornia Association of Physicians Groups' Human Resource Committee Meeting05.19.2009
- 08.16.2018 | Society for Human Resource Management
- 01.11.2016 | Law360
- 09.24.2015 | Orange County Register
- Nossaman Represents Sheridan Healthcare, Inc. in Acquisition of Medical Anesthesia Consultants Medical Group, Inc.12.10.2013
- 07.29.2013 | OC Register Metro
- 08.01.2012 | OC Metro
- 08.02.2011 | OC Metro
- 01.25.2011 | Super Lawyers
- 06.18.2010 | Daily Journal
- 04.22.2008 | California Executive
- 01.10.2006 | Nossaman News Release
Community & Professional
PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES (PAST & CURRENT)
Association of Workplace Investigators
Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM)
Professionals in Human Resources Association (PIHRA)
Member, Vistage International, Inc.
Board Member/Executive Committee of Girl Scouts of Orange County
California State Bar, Employment and Intellectual Property Law Sections
Board of Directors, Orange County Bar Association
Chair, Bench/Bar/Media Committee, Orange County Bar Association
Member, Gender Bias Committee, Orange County Bar Association
Long Range Planning Committee, Orange County Bar Association
President, Orange County Women Lawyer’s Association
Chair, Public Affairs Committee, California State Bar
Board of Directors, California State Bar, Litigation Section
California Young Lawyers, Board of Directors, District 8
President, Inland Counties Women at Law
COMMUNITY ACTIVITIES (PAST & CURRENT)
Advisory Board, The Fistula Foundation
Advisory Board, Integrity Wealth Management
Board of Directors, 211 Orange County
Board of Directors, Secretary, Orange County Museum of Art
Board of Trustees, Vice President of Corporate Development, South Coast Repertory
Board of Trustees, Laguna College of Art and Design
Board of Directors, International Forum of Corporate Directors
Board of Directors, Legal Aid Society of Orange County
Chair, Executive Women's Council, Center Club
Founder, Women's Forum
United Way, Women's Philanthropy Fund/Chair of Women Starting A Business
WilFund/Women of Vision/World Vision
Honors & Recognitions
Selected to the Southern California Super Lawyers List.
Selected as a "Top Attorney" for Employment by OC Metro magazine.
AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell.
- Pepperdine University School of Law, J.D., 1976, with honors
- Syracuse University, M.A., 1973
- State University of New York, Buffalo, B.A., 1970, magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California