Melissa Borrelli is co-chair of Nossaman's Healthcare Group. She has worked in and around healthcare law and policy for close to two decades. She provides legal services and solutions to payors, health systems, providers and others in the health, managed care and health insurance industry. Melissa offers legal counsel to commercial, discount, specialized (including EAP, psychological, dental, vision and chiropractic/acupuncture) and government-based health plans, including Medi-Cal, Medicare and Marketplace. In addition, she advises health plans and risk-bearing providers on licensing, contracting, and other matters pertaining to the laws and standards of managed care, including the California Knox-Keene Act, Welfare and Institutions Act and other authority, including the federal Affordable Care Act, Public Health Service Act and National Committee for Quality Assurance accreditation standards. She advises on issues pertaining to compliance and regulatory affairs, auditing/operational assessment, privacy and information security, enterprise risk management, digital health, corporate governance, contracts, process improvement and due diligence. Melissa also has experience in health care discrimination law and the federal and State Mental Health Parity requirements.
In addition, Melissa’s transactional work includes corporate governance, merger and acquisition and reorganization.
Melissa brings a comprehensive legal and operational perspective to her practice obtained through experience in the private and public sectors. Previously, she worked in the healthcare consulting practice at an international tax and accounting firm and in-house at a California health plan. She also served as an attorney with the California Department of Managed Health Care and completed a graduate fellowship placed at the California Health and Human Services Agency. She also spent eight years teaching health and insurance law to graduate, undergraduate, and paralegal students at multiple universities and colleges across Northern California and was a co-author of the American Health Law Association’s Managed Care Contracting Toolkit.
Health Plan and IPA Merger and Sale. We advised a health plan and independent practice association (IPA) based in Northern California on their merger and sale to a population health management company. We guided our client through multiple transactions in order to combine strategic corporate transactional structures while steering clear of significant regulatory risks at both the federal and state levels. We also secured regulatory approval from the California Department of Managed Health Care.
- 03.10.2022 | Nossasman eAlert
- Compliance Corner: Policy and Procedure Best Practices02.01.2018 | American Health Law Association
- Jail Time for a HIPAA Violation?01.01.2018 | American Health Law Association
- MCO and Payor Obligations01.01.2016 | American Health Law Association
- California’s New Pharmacy Benefit Management Company Registration Requirements—A Sign of Things to Come?01.01.2015 | American Health Law Association
- 08.14.2023 | The Health Law Ticker
- CMS Attempts to Reduce Appointment Times for Medicaid and CHIP Patients - How Will This Impact Your Managed Care Plan?06.05.2023 | The Health Law Ticker
- 03.11.2022 | The Health Law Ticker
- 12.17.2021 | The Health Law Ticker
- California Society for Healthcare Attorneys’ (CSHA) 2022 Fall Seminar10.28.2022
- American Health Law Association's Health Law Week 202206.09.2022
- 2022 Northern California State of Reform Health Policy Conference03.23.2022
- California Society for Healthcare Attorneys’ (CSHA) 2021 Virtual Fall Seminar11.19.2021
- CSHA Webinar06.30.2021
- CSHA Webinar06.30.2021
- 05.10.2023 | Nossaman News Release
- 06.04.2021 | Multiple News Outlets
- Nossaman Adds Noted Healthcare Lawyer, Former Mazars Director, Melissa Borrelli to Sacramento Office06.01.2021 | Nossaman News Release
Community & Professional
California Society for Healthcare Attorneys, President, Board Member
Health Care Compliance Association, Member, CHC, CHPC
Sacramento County Bar Association, Member
Women Lawyers of Sacramento, Member
American Health Lawyers Association, MA/Part D Affinity Group Vice Chair
Association of Corporate Counsel, Health Law Network
- Loyola University Chicago School of Law, LL.M., Health Law, 2012
- University of California, Davis School of Law, J.D., 2005
- University of California, Davis, B.S., 2002