Tara Paul represents public agencies and investor-owned utilities. Her practice is focused on water industry issues, and her experience includes representing clients in complex water rights litigation and groundwater contamination disputes. Tara also provides legal counseling and advice to public agencies regarding regulatory compliance, including issues related to the Brown Act, Public Records Act, Sustainable Groundwater Management Act (SGMA), and California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA).
Prior to joining Nossaman, Tara served as a clerk with the 5th District of the California Court of Appeal.
Santa Clarita Valley Water Agency v. Whittaker Corporation. Key member of litigation team representing a public water agency in an on-going groundwater contamination case, involving claims arising under the Comprehensive Environmental Response Compensation and Liability Act (CERCLA) and the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA), as well as state common law claims, including trespass and nuisance.
Goleta Water District v. Slippery Rock Ranch, LLC. Key member of litigation team representing public water district in successful litigation of a high-profile water rights dispute.
Abatti v. Imperial Irrigation District. Represent irrigation district in a writ action involving numerous water-related issues, including equitable distribution of water.
San Gabriel Valley Water Company, Fontana Water Company, and Fontana Union Water Company. Assisted with a complex water rights dispute involving numerous issues arising under the Orange County judgment, the Western-San Bernardino judgment, and other water-related decrees and doctrines.
Various Public Agencies. Assist with General Counsel services to public agency clients on various aspects of operations and management, including legal advice concerning water rights transactions, Brown Act compliance, Proposition 218, environmental issues, labor and employment issues, and local ordinances.
- 02.10.2020 | Nossaman eAlert
- 2019 | CEB 2019 California Administrative Mandamus
- Fixing Finances: The Department of Water Resources Seeks Validation of Bonds to Fund the California WaterFix Project07.28.2017 | Nossaman eAlert
- 03.20.2017 | Nossaman eAlert
- 02.13.2017 | Nossaman eAlert
- 12.01.2015 | Nossaman eAlert
- 10.16.2015 | Nossaman eAlert
- 09.30.2015 | Nossaman eAlert
- 2013 | Indiana Journal of Global Legal Studies
- 03.10.2020 | California Water Views
- 02.10.2020 | California Water Views
Community & Professional
American Bar Association
California State Bar Association
Los Angeles County Bar Association
Southern California Water Committee, Inc., Storm Water Task Force
Association of Women in Water, Energy and Environment
Pacific Council on International Policy
Honors & Recognitions
Selected for the 2019 California Water Education Foundation's Water Leaders Fellowship
- Indiana University, Maurer School of Law, J.D., 2014
- Indiana University, School of Public and Environmental Affairs, M.P.A., 2014
- California State University, Fresno, B.A., 2007, magna cum laude
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California