Bill Powers focuses on political law and campaign finance issues. Drawing on his decade-long career in government, including as a top enforcement official at the Federal Election Commission (FEC), Bill helps clients navigate laws related to campaign finance, lobbying, ethics, gift and gratuities, and pay-to-play.
He represents individuals, corporations, political committees (including ballot measure committees and Super PACs), as well as tax exempt, nonprofit organizations, such as 501(c)(3) charities, 501(c)(4) social welfare organizations, and 501(c)(6) trade associations. He advises them on their political and lobbying activities and related tax consequences. He also has extensive experience with state and local election laws governing ballot measure initiatives, including states such as California, Washington, Texas, and Massachusetts.
Bill provides guidance in all aspects of political law, including:
- Federal Election Campaign Act (FECA) and Bipartisan Campaign Reform Act (BCRA or McCain-Feingold);
- Lobbying Disclosure Act (LDA);
- U.S. House and Senate Ethics Rules;
- Foreign Agents Registration Act (FARA);
- Similar rules at the state, local, and municipal level.
Bill's practice also involves internal investigations and white-collar defense, especially those related to election law, bribery, and anti-corruption statutes, such as the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA). He represents clients who may face parallel or overlapping investigations by the Department of Justice (DOJ), the FEC, and other criminal and civil law enforcement agencies.
- Numerous dismissals of FEC enforcement matters (MURs) for clients alleged to have made corporate or reimbursed (i.e., conduit or straw donor) contributions;
- Forming and counseling federal and state super PACs; social welfare organizations, and separate segregated funds (SSFs);
- Counseling on state and federal pay-to-play rules, including those of the Securities Exchange Commission (SEC), the Municipal Securities Rulemaking Board (MSRB), and the Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC)
- Compliance with state and local ballot measure rules.
- 05.28.2020 | Nossaman eAlert
- 05.15.2020 | Nossaman eAlert
- 05.04.2020 | Nossaman eAlert
- 04.02.2020 | Nossaman eAlert
- 03.27.2020 | Nossaman eAlert
- 03.24.2020 | Nossaman eAlert
- 03.18.2020 | Nossaman eAlert
- 01.14.2020 | Nossaman eAlert
- 08.08.2019 | Daily Journal
- New England Roundup: Political Law News from the Town Square to the Region’s Capitals07.01.2018 | Client Newsletter
- Nossaman Webinar05.20.2020
- Nossaman Government Relations & Regulation Live Webcast11.05.2019
- American Public Power Association's 2019 Legal & Regulatory Conference10.23.2019
- Tax Exempt Community, DC Bar05.2019
- American Society of Association Executives Webinar03.2017
- Nossaman Expands DC Office, Government Relations & Regulation Group with Michael Stroud and William Powers07.16.2019 | Nossaman News Release
Community & Professional
Founding Member, 2020 Lawyers Guild, Ballot Initiative Strategy Center
DC Bar, Taxation Community
- University of Connecticut School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude
- University of Massachusetts Amherst, B.A / B.S., summa cum laude
- District of Columbia
- New York