Mike Gawley represents healthcare clients with a focus on litigation and dispute resolution. He has represented medical staffs, medical groups, independent practice associations, ambulatory surgery centers, and other organizations involved in the provision of healthcare services.
Mike handles a broad range of matters including medical staff and peer review hearings, administrative enforcement actions, licensing proceedings, regulatory investigations, whistleblower claims, and reimbursement actions with public and private payors. He also works with clients to develop policies and strategies to comply with ever-changing legal and regulatory requirements.
Successfully defended IPA at arbitration brought by medical groups alleging underpayment for non-contracted services, resulting in order that IPA’s reimbursement rate was reasonable value.
Obtained arbitration victory on behalf of professional corporation defending claims brought by departed shareholder seeking post-withdrawal compensation.
Negotiated favorable settlement of reimbursement dispute in federal court on behalf of medical group against national HMO and regional IPA.
Successfully litigated interpleader claim for county medical association, resulting in court order discharging client from near-seven-figure liability and reimbursing all attorneys’ fees and costs incurred.
Secured stipulated court order against EHR vendor, requiring vendor to provide EHR access and support to medical group client.
Defeated federal lawsuit against ambulatory surgery center by member seeking inflated buy-out of shares.
- 10.16.2023 | The Health Law Ticker
- 08.31.2023 | The Health Law Ticker
- 12.15.2022 | The Health Law Ticker
- 08.29.2022 | The Health Law Ticker
- Anticipating AB 890’s Implementation: Now is a Good Time for Medical Staffs to Get Their Ducks in a Row08.15.2022 | The Health Law Ticker
- 06.20.2022 | The Health Law Ticker
- 05.24.2022 | The Health Law Ticker
- Key Legal Developments for Medical Groups: 2021 and BeyondCalifornia Medical Group Management Association Annual Conference11.2021
- The ABCs of AB 5: Classifying Healthcare Workers in California’s Gig EconomyCalifornia Medical Association Member Webinar01.2021
- Unresolved Issues in Section 1278.5 Whistleblower Retaliation ClaimsCalifornia Society for Healthcare Attorneys Annual Meeting & Spring Seminar04.2018
- 08.04.2023 | Health Plan Weekly
- 03.01.2023 | Medical Staff Briefing
- 05.31.2022 | Multiple News Outlets
- 05.24.2022 | Nossaman News Release
Community & Professional
American Health Law Association, Member
National Association of Medical Staff Services, Member
California Association of Medical Staff Services, Member
California Society for Healthcare Attorneys, Member
Honors & Recognitions
Selected to the Northern California Rising Stars list, Healthcare, 2016-2023