California Employment Law Update: What Employers Need to Know in 2022
On February 3, 2022, Allison Callaghan, Julia Botezatu, Pavneet Singh Mac and Randy Boyer presented “California Employment Law Update: What Employers Need to Know in 2022." During this complimentary program, we covered significant new employment legislation in California, as well as case law developments and evolving COVID-19 requirements at the state and federal levels.
Our panelists reviewed, amongst other topics:
- Expansions to the California Family Rights Act and AB 5 exemptions;
- New restrictions on non-disclosure, non-disparagement and separation agreements;
- Extension of record retention time periods for employers;
- Emergency Temporary Standards issued by OSHA and Cal/OSHA;
- Updated isolation and quarantine guidance issued by the CDC and CDPH;
- Vaccine and mask mandates, religious and disability exemptions and when COVID may be deemed a “disability”; and
- New case authority relating to the rate at which meal and rest break premiums must be paid, meal period rounding and the manageability of PAGA claims.
In addition to explaining how these developments could apply to operations and workforce, our employment attorneys offered practical solutions and best practices for staying compliant in 2022.