Charting a Course for Offshore Wind Energy in California
On May 6, 2021, members of Nossaman’s Coastal Development and Environment & Land Use Groups along with some special guest speakers discussed current proposals and pending regulations concerning offshore wind development along the California coast. Our top tier panel of coastal specialists included senior representatives from the California Coastal Commission, the State Lands Commission, the Redwood Coast Energy Authority and the California Department of Fish and Wildlife, who shared insights on their respective organizations’ roles in the planning, permitting and construction of offshore wind projects in the state.
This was a must-attend program for project developers, manufacturers, utilities and other constituencies seeking insight into the future path for offshore wind energy in California.
During the webinar, our panel discussed:
- A brief history of California offshore wind proposals and development to date;
- The role of the California Coastal Commission in reviewing aspects of offshore wind development in federal & state waters;
- Offshore wind applications in state waters, including the CEQA process and Environmental Impact Report preparation;
- The role of the Bureau of Ocean Energy Management (BOEM) and the intergovernmental task force in project development; and
- The status of current projects proposed along the California coast.