We provide clients with strategic advice about mitigating possible adverse impacts their businesses and projects might have on marine life. We advise them on regulatory, legislative and litigation matters relating to activities that impact oceans, marine life and maritime and intermodal transportation.
We assist commercial fisheries with regulatory compliance relating to the Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act, the Endangered Species Act and the Marine Mammal Protection Act. We also advise the owners of a wide range of ocean-going vessels and ocean-based businesses on compliance with pollution regulations including the Clean Water Act, the Oil Pollution Act and the Clean Air Act. In addition, we have represented numerous companies as well as state and national governments on maritime and natural resources issues before the U.S. Congress and federal agencies.
We provide strategic and effective advice based on decades of involvement with the development of ocean, marine life and maritime and intermodal policy. Prior to joining Nossaman, several of our partners worked as senior committee staffers assisting with drafting the Magnuson-Stevens Act, the Endangered Species Act, the Marine Mammal Protection Act, the Oil Pollution Act, the Longshore and Harbor Workers Compensation Act, and two international fishing treaties. We have litigated cases under those and other related statutes in federal courts, including the U.S. Supreme Court. We have provided testimony in Congress and successfully advocated for revisions to the Marine Mammal Protection Act and the Magnuson-Stevens Act on behalf of our clients.
We help clients advance their ocean, marine life and maritime associated business and economic interests through representation before the U.S. Congress and key regulatory agencies including the Environmental Protection Agency, National Marine Fisheries Service, Fish and Wildlife Service, Council on Environmental Quality, Coast Guard and Maritime Administration. We resolve disputes through negotiation and mediation, and when necessary, through state, federal and appellate courts.
- 08.24.2022 | Endangered Species Law & Policy
- Poseidon Water’s Coastal Commission Application Denied – Setting Up an Uncertain Future for Desalination05.17.2022 | California Water Views
- 03.03.2022 | California Water Views
- 07.15.2021 | Endangered Species Law & Policy
- 07.09.2021 | Endangered Species Law & Policy
- 05.03.2021 | California Water Views
- 05.03.2021 | California Eminent Domain Report
- 05.03.2021 | Endangered Species Law & Policy
- WEBINAR: The First 100 Days of President Biden’s Environmental Policy: Revolution or Back to Basics?04.08.2021 | California Water Views
- WEBINAR: The First 100 Days of President Biden’s Environmental Policy: Revolution or Back to Basics?04.07.2021 | California Eminent Domain Report
- WEBINAR: The First 100 Days of President Biden’s Environmental Policy: Revolution or Back to Basics?04.01.2021 | Endangered Species Law & Policy
- 01.19.2021 | Endangered Species Law & Policy
- WOTS Next? An Update on the Clean Water Act and Regulation of Waters of the State & Waters of the U.S.06.25.2020 | California Water Views
- Linda Larson and Paul Weiland Mentioned as Lead Counsel in Lawsuit Defending Maine’s Lobster Industry09.27.2021 | Press Release from the Office of Governor Janet T. Mills
- 09.15.2021 | Multiple News Outlets
- 05.27.2021 | Law360
- Nossaman Nets Win for Fisheries Clients with Ruling Overturning North Pacific Council's Amendment 11303.22.2019 | SeafoodNews.com