Liz Klebaner advises public agency and corporate clients on a variety of complex land use and environmental matters, and she litigates in both state and federal court. While based in Nossaman’s Los Angeles office, Liz has strong ties to Nossaman’s Orange County and San Francisco offices. She spent her first years with Nossaman at the firm’s Orange County office, and continues to advise a range of public agency clients and corporate clients in connection with projects proposed in Orange, Riverside, Imperial, and San Diego counties. She regularly works out of Nossaman’s San Francisco office on projects proposed in the City of San Francisco and the Bay Area at large.
Liz regularly comments on CEQA developments and contributes to Nossaman’s Endangered Species Law & Policy Blog. Her coverage of environmental law matters has been published in online and print environmental law news outlets.
Prior to joining Nossaman, Liz represented energy industry stakeholders in regulatory proceedings before the California Energy Commission, the California Public Utilities Commission, and the California Air Resources Board.
COMPLIANCE COUNSELING & PERMITTING
Orange County Transportation Corridor Agencies. Provide environmental and compliance and strategy recommendations for corridor extension projects. Counsel on key issues, including transportation planning and public records and meetings management.
Metro Gold Line Construction Authority – Metro Gold Line. Provide land use and environmental compliance and strategy recommendations to the Authority in connection with the Phase 2B light rail extension to Montclair.
Kern County Water Agency. Counsel client regarding the development of a $25 billion infrastructure project (California WaterFix) to improve water supply and fulfill federal and state Endangered Species Act as well as California Environmental Quality Act and National Environmental Policy Act requirements.
Town of Hillsborough. CEQA counsel to client in connection with the development of CEQA documentation for privately-proposed residential development project.
San Diego Association of Governments (SANDAG). Advised SANDAG in the preparation of CEQA documentation for a high-profile environmental restoration project proposed to enhance a currently degraded coastal lagoon between the Cities of Oceanside and Carlsbad.
Montebello Hills Specific Plan Project. Lead CEQA counsel for developer sponsored specific plan project proposing up to 1200 single family homes, internal circulation network, backbone water system and supporting infrastructure, parkland and hiking trails and a 260-acre nature reserve for the threatened California gnatcatcher. The project proponent was granted all approvals in June 2015.
Cook Hill Properties, LLC. Judgment for client, Cook Hill Properties, LLC., in both the California Superior Court and the California Court of Appeal, in the matter Citizens for Open and Public Participation v. City of Montebello, involving defense of City approvals of a major 1200-unit residential project in the City of Montebello.
City of Bakersfield. Judgment for client, City of Bakersfield, in both petition for writ of supersedeas seeking emergency stay and subsequent appeal of Kern County Superior Court decision in Citizens Against 24th Street Widening Project v. City of Bakersfield upholding CEQA documentation for a highway improvement project. The California Supreme Court denied review on February 6, 2017.
Solana Beach. Successful defense of Solana Beach in a Coastal Act and constitutional law challenge to a California Coastal Commission-certified land use plan for the City of Solana Beach. The California Court of Appeal issued a published decision in Beach & Bluff Conservancy v. City of Solana Beach (2018) 28 Cal.App.5th 244, finding for the City on all issues.
Metro Gold Line Construction Authority. Represented client, Metro Gold Line Authority, in parallel CEQA challenges brought by the City of Pomona and the City of San Dimas. Achieved dismissal of litigation within one year after it was filed.
- 2019 | CEB 2019 California Administrative Mandamus
- 10.25.2018 | Nossaman eAlert
- Proposed CEQA Guideline for Highway Projects Promises Flexibility in the Measurement of Traffic Impacts, But Delivers Ambiguity02.07.2018 | Nossaman eAlert
- Major Revisions to CEQA Guidelines Proposed – Measuring Transportation Impacts Under CEQA: The Paradigm Shift to Vehicle Miles Traveled Arrives11.30.2017 | Nossaman eAlert
- Worth the Wait? The California Supreme Court Rules that CEQA Does Not Require an Analysis of the Environment's Impacts on a Project, Except When it Does12.18.2015 | Nossaman eAlert
- 09.2015 | California Lawyer
- California Governor's Office Releases Comprehensive Update to State California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) Guidelines08.17.2015 | Nossaman eAlert
- Summer 2015 | Natural Resources & Environment, American Bar Association Section of Environment, Energy, and Resources, Volume 30, Number 1
- California Supreme Court Establishes the Standard of Review for the Unusual Circumstances Exception to CEQA Categorical Exemptions03.04.2015 | Nossaman eAlert
- 12.12.2014 | Law360
- 01.15.2020 | California Eminent Domain Report
- 01.13.2020 | Endangered Species Law & Policy
- New Executive Order Heralds Reorientation of State’s Species Protection and Water Management Policies05.07.2019 | Endangered Species Law & Policy
- 01.23.2019 | Endangered Species Law & Policy
- 10.18.2018 | Endangered Species Law & Policy
- 08.28.2018 | Endangered Species Law & Policy
- 12.21.2017 | Endangered Species Law & Policy
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Lists Three New Species; National Marine Fisheries Services Lists Subspecies of Hector’s Dolphin09.21.2017 | Endangered Species Law & Policy
- 07.09.2017 | Endangered Species Law & Policy
- 04.13.2017 | Endangered Species Law & Policy
- Ninth Circuit Rules Injury from Future Water Rights Restrictions Too Speculative for Article III Standing02.24.2017 | Endangered Species Law & Policy
- 11.29.2016 | Endangered Species Law & Policy
- 10.13.2016 | Endangered Species Law & Policy
- 08.31.2016 | Endangered Species Law & Policy
- 07.28.2016 | Endangered Species Law & Policy
- D.C. Circuit Holds Injury Exists Where Statutory Enactment Denies Plaintiff's Right to Information; Upholds Section 9 Exemption for Antelope Species06.07.2016 | Endangered Species Law & Policy
- 05.05.2016 | Endangered Species Law & Policy
- Is Their Fate Sealed? Alaska District Court Vacates Regulation Listing Arctic Ringed Seal Populations as Threatened and Endangered03.16.2016 | Endangered Species Law & Policy
- Court Holds Inadequate Veterinary Care, Sanitation, and Lack of Environmental Enrichment Constitute a Taking Under the Endangered Species Act.02.18.2016 | Endangered Species Law & Policy
- 01.12.2016 | Endangered Species Law & Policy
- 11.24.2015 | Endangered Species Law & Policy
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Determines that Listing of Sierra Nevada Red Fox is Warranted at the Distinct Population Segment Level; Separately Service Removes 19 Species From Candidate List10.13.2015 | Endangered Species Law & Policy
- 08.06.2015 | Endangered Species Law & Policy
- Sage Grouse Status Hangs in the Balance as BLM Moves to Adopt Conservation Plans for Ten Western States06.03.2015 | Endangered Species Law & Policy
- 04.28.2015 | Endangered Species Law & Policy
- 03.31.2015 | Endangered Species Law & Policy
- Oregon Chub is First Fish Species Ever To Be Declared Recovered and Removed From Threatened Species Listing02.19.2015 | Endangered Species Law & Policy
- 10.27.2014 | Endangered Species Law & Policy
- 09.16.2014 | Endangered Species Law & Policy
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is Accepting Comments on Revised Draft Recovery Plan for the Bull Trout.09.05.2014 | Endangered Species Law & Policy
- 08.08.2014 | Endangered Species Law & Policy
- Nossaman's 2019 California Land Use Seminar05.21.2019
- 2019 California Association of Environmental Professionals State Conference03.26.2019
- Nossaman's 2017 Northern California Environmental & Land Use Seminar05.18.2017
- Nossaman's 2016 Environmental & Land Use Seminar09.13.2016
- Nossaman's 2015 Environmental & Land Use Seminar09.22.2015
- 10.18.2018 | Daily Journal
- 09.14.2015 | California Lawyer's "2015 California Lawyer Land Use Roundtable"
Community & Professional
Member, Los Angeles County Bar Association
Member, California State Bar Environmental Law Section
Member, Orange County Bar Association
- University of California, Hastings College of the Law, J.D., 2008, Executive Editor, Hastings International & Comparative Law Review
- Georgetown University Law Center, 2007, visiting student
- Pomona College, B.A., 2003