Drew Hansen serves as Co-Chair of Nossaman’s Employment Group. He is also the Chair of the Firm’s Trucking, Logistics, & Warehouse Industry Group. He periodically serves as a Discovery Referee/Special Master in complex, high-stakes litigation.
Drew is an employment and business litigator specializing in defending employers and companies against wage and hour class actions, consumer fraud class actions, other complex commercial disputes, PAGA actions, individual employment lawsuits of all kinds, breach of contract cases, and unfair business practice claims.
Drew represents both major companies and midsize businesses. He has successfully defended against class certification and won significant victories in a number of notable class action lawsuits in California. He has been successful at resolving cases at summary judgment and has had a significant number of cases dismissed at the pleadings stage.
Drew’s record of success for his clients has been acknowledged by the Daily Journal, which named him one of the “Top 20 Under 40” lawyers in the State of California. Super Lawyers magazine, which profiled his vibrant class action defense practice, named Drew a top rated Class Action & Mass Torts attorney in Southern California in 2020.
In addition to his prolific employment and litigation practice, Drew has developed an expertise serving as a discovery referee/special master. His work in this area includes refereeing depositions, issuing orders on motions to compel, conducting in camera reviews of allegedly privileged documents, and working closely with the court in virtually every aspect of a case. Drew served as one of the court-approved Discovery Masters in the landmark Bratz doll copyright litigation case, Mattel, Inc. v. MGA Entertainment, Inc.
Prior to becoming an attorney, Drew had a successful collegiate basketball career at the University of Utah, where he was a co-captain and started at guard in the 1998 NCAA championship game against the Kentucky Wildcats.
- Successfully resolved dozens of wage and hour class action lawsuits and PAGA representative matters for a wide variety of employers, including numerous trucking and logistics companies, healthcare corporations, financial institutions, credit card processing companies, manufacturers, technology corporations, etc.
- Successfully defended employers in a broad range of individual employment disputes, including against claims for wrongful termination, discrimination, harassment, retaliation, breach of contract, violations of ERISA, etc.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of employers in numerous employment cases
- Secured dismissal of a variety of class actions and individual employment disputes at the pleadings stage
- Compelled numerous putative class actions to individual arbitration, including in transportation cases
- Negotiated very favorable individual settlements in numerous putative wage and hour class actions, collective actions, and PAGA claims
- Successfully defended the nation’s largest refrigerated trucking company against a misleading advertising putative class action
- Secured pre-trial dismissal of misleading advertising claims filed against one of the world’s largest computer manufacturers under Business & Professions Code §§ 17200 and 17500
- Defeated class certification in federal court lawsuit alleging that defendant misrepresented the capabilities of its air purifiers
- Obtained pre-trial dismissal of lawsuit alleging that one of the nation’s largest credit card processors charged excessive processing fees
- Secured dismissals and successful resolutions in multiple TCPA matters including both class actions and individual disputes arising under the Telephone Consumer Protection Act
- Obtained complete pre-trial dismissal of class action lawsuit filed against direct marketer under California's Business & Professions Code §§ 17200 and 17500
- Secured pre-trial dismissal of lawsuit alleging a debt consolidation company had engaged in unfair business practices
- Obtained pre-trial dismissal of lawsuit alleging vendor of nationwide pre-paid phone cards violated Business & Professions Code §§ 17200 and 17500
- Negotiated numerous favorable settlements in a broad range of consumer class actions
- Served as a discovery referee in the high-profile, complex litigation between Mattel, Inc. and MGA Entertainment, Inc. regarding the Bratz doll line; over a multi-year period, oversaw dozens of party and third-party depositions, prepared numerous Discovery Master orders addressing a wide variety of discovery disputes (e.g., motions to compel discovery of all types, motions for protective order, motions to quash, etc.), and assisted the Court with multiple hearings.
- 01.22.2019 | Nossaman News Release
Community & Professional
American Trucking Associations
California Trucking Association
North American Transportation Employee Relations Association
Honors & Recognitions
Selected to the Southern California Super Lawyers list, 2017-2020
Named to the Daily Journal's Top 20 Under 40 list for the State of California
Selected to the Southern California Rising Stars list, 2009-2015
Selected to the Up-and-Coming Top 25 Orange County Rising Stars list, 2015