John Kennedy specializes in complex business litigation with an emphasis in employment law. He also specializes in administrative law representing individuals and entities before quasi-judicial administrative tribunals, e.g., the State Personnel Board, and the Office of Administrative Hearings. John represents public and private entities in state and federal courts, administrative tribunals, and through alternative dispute resolution mechanisms such as binding arbitration and mediation.
In addition to his litigation experience, John counsels and advises both public and private employers regarding a broad array of matters including public disclosure of information, the Brown Act, and employment matters. Among others, he provides these services to the California Office of the Legislative Counsel, the California Assembly Rules Committee, and the Sacramento County Employees' Retirement System. Employment advice and consultation is given in areas including personnel policies and procedures, discipline and termination, the Americans with Disabilities Act and California's counterpart, wage and hour issues, leave issues, privacy issues, trade secret protection, discrimination, harassment and retaliation, and workplace violence issues.
John also provides sexual harassment prevention and other training seminars to employers, their supervisors, and staff. He is AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell.
Sonoma County Employees' Retirement Assn. v. Superior Court. Defended against Public Records Act request seeking individual names and pensions paid to retirees.
Sacramento County Employees Retirement System v. Superior Court. Defended against Public Records Act request seeking individual names and pensions paid to retirees.
The Sacramento Bee v. California Public Employees' Retirement System. Defended against Public Records Act Request seeking details of alternative investments.
Employment Matter. Represented Fire Protection District investigating employee misuse of computer and successfully defended District's termination of employee for viewing salacious images on District computers.
Disability Retirement Matters. Represented Sacramento County Employee's Retirement System on several administrative hearings before the Office of Administrative Hearings in which retirees seek enhanced disability retirement and/or service-connected disability retirement benefits.
Rewards Network, Inc. v. Borge, et al. Defense of new employer in lawsuit brought by former employer alleging former employee violated the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act, misappropriated trade secrets, breached his contract, and unlawfully interfered with his former employer's business relations.
Teachers' Retirement Bd. V. Genest. Defended state's effort to attempt to reduce state payment to public retirement fund.
Moore v. State of California. Represented defendant employer in discrimination, harassment and retaliation lawsuit by former employee.
Lais, et al. v. The Permanente Medical Group, Inc., et al. Represented defendants sued by shareholder for, among other things, breach of contract, age discrimination, denial of due process and wrongful termination.
Crandall v. Esten, et al. Defeated plaintiff's defamation, violations of the Public Safety Officers' Procedural Bill of Rights, invasion of privacy and deprivation of due process claims against state employer and individual defendants by summary judgment.
McCullough v. California Department of Corrections. Plaintiff held a high ranking career executive assignment in this state agency. When the assignment was withdrawn due to a lack of competence, plaintiff sued for disability, religious and sex discrimination in the form of retaliation, emotional distress, and wrongful termination. This lawsuit was defeated by summary judgment.
- What the FFCRA, CARES Act, California’s Shelter-in-Place Orders and Other Relief Measures Mean for California Employers04.03.2020 | Nossaman eAlert
- 02.26.2018 | Nossaman eAlert
- 05.08.2012 | Daily Journal
- 04.16.2012 | Daily Journal
- 01.18.2018 | The Health Law Ticker
- National Association of Public Pension Attorneys' 2018 Legal Education Conference06.28.2018
- State Association of County Retirement Systems 2018 Spring Conference05.15.2018
- Nossaman's 2017 Public Pensions & Investments Fiduciaries' Forum11.30.2017
- Nossaman Employment Seminar02.2017
- Nossaman Employment Seminar02.2016
- Conference of California Public Utility Counsel Annual Meeting10.18.2015
- Practical Tips for Protecting Requestor and Public Sector Interests and Resolving Public Records DisputesLaw Seminars International 3rd Annual Seminar on Public Records Act Litigation06.10.2015
- Nossaman Employment Seminar02.2015
- American Academy of Ophthalmology01.23.2015
- California Employer Resources 8th Annual California Employment Law Update10.09.2013
- Developing Effective Strategies - Protecting Requestor and Public Sector Interests and Reducing DisputesLaw Seminar International05.08.2013
- Fire Districts' Association of California Annual Conference04.04.2013
- Nossaman Employment Seminar02.2013
- Nossaman State and Local Ethics Rules Seminar12.12.2012
- Asian Pacific State Employees Association 2012 Symposium11.08.2012
- Association of California Water Agencies' 2012 CLE for Water Professionals10.04.2012
- Nossaman Employment Seminar02.2012
- Professionals in Human Resources Association Webinar02.03.2012
- Association of Corporate Counsel, Sacramento Chapter10.15.2009
- 08.05.2015 | Super Lawyers
- 07.03.2014 | Super Lawyers
- 08.05.2013 | Pensions & Investments
- 11.01.2012 | Comstock's
Community & Professional
California Bar Association, Litigation and Labor and Employment Law Sections
Sacramento County Bar Association, Environmental, Employment and Administrative Law Sections
Board member, A Touch of Understanding, a non-profit with the mission of encouraging acceptance and respect for individuals with disabilities.
National Association of Public Pension Attorneys
Honors & Recognitions
Selected to the Northern California Super Lawyers list, 2004, 2006 and 2014-2016
AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law, J.D., 1988, with distinction
- University of California, Davis, B.A., 1984
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California