Jim Vorhis is a business litigator assisting clients in finding solutions to a wide range of disputes, with a particular emphasis on complex civil litigation in state and federal courts. His commercial litigation practice consists principally of business disputes involving financial services, bankruptcy and creditors' rights, construction, securities and insurance coverage issues.
Jim has successfully represented clients in all phases of litigation, and has developed experience managing complex discovery issues, conducting and defending depositions, and briefing and arguing major dispositive motions. He has helped clients achieve significant recoveries in several high-profile trials. Jim is also experienced representing clients in alternative dispute resolution (ADR) proceedings.
Public Pension Fund Insurance Counseling. Counsels numerous public pension boards in obtaining insurance, and represents those boards in the claim process with insurers and in litigation.
Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation v. Galan-Alvarez, et al. Representing the FDIC in $250 million lawsuit against directors and officers of failed Puerto Rico Bank and corresponding insurance coverage action against D&O and excess carrier.
Sonora HOA vs. Regency Skyport, et al. Defended public agency developer and general contractor in a major construction defect matter in Santa Clara Superior Court with related insurance coverage litigation, and accompanying insurance coverage disputes involve potential coverage under a $25 million "wrap" policy issued for the project and additional insured coverage under policies issued to subcontractors. Negotiated favorable confidential settlements of the main action and insurance proceeding.
Texas Department of Transportation. Represented Department of Transportation in providing insurance and claims avoidance advice for several multi-billion dollar public works projects.
Castaic Lake Water Agency et al. v. Whittaker Corp. et al. Assisted several water producer agencies in obtaining insurance coverage to defend counterclaims in environmental litigation resulting in the reimbursement of over $8 million in attorneys’ fees.
San Gabriel Basin Watermaster v. AISLIC. Represented policyholder in seeking defense under an environmental liability policy. Obtained summary adjudication establishing insurer’s duty to defend Watermaster. Mediated with insurer and received very favorable settlement for client.
Local Transportation Agencies. Represented San Francisco County Transportation Agency in pre-litigation claims negotiations related to stop loss notice filed by worker of general contractor, and San Francisco Bay Area Water Emergency Transportation Authority and other transportation agencies in California on issues related to public bidding process and protests.
City of Oakland v. PFRS. Successfully represented the City of Oakland in lawsuit to determine the proper level of pension benefits under closed pension plan. The case is now on appeal.
- 04.02.2018 | The NAPPA Report
- 10.09.2017 | Nossaman eAlert
- 08.02.2017 | Nossaman eAlert
- 07.10.2017 | Nossaman eAlert
- 09.17.2015 | Los Angeles Lawyer
- State Association of County Retirement Systems 2019 Fall Conference11.14.2019
- Nossaman's 2019 Public Pensions & Investments Fiduciaries' Forum09.05.2019
- Nossaman's 2019 Public Pensions & Investments Fiduciaries' Forum09.04.2019
- National Association of Public Pension Attorneys' 2019 Winter Seminar02.22.2019
- San Joaquin County Employees’ Retirement v. Travelers Casualty and Surety Company of America, U.S.D.C. (Eastern Dist. of CA) Case No: 2:18-cv-02042-JAM-CKDCalifornia Association of Public Retirement Systems (CALAPRS) Attorneys’ Roundtable02.01.2019
- Nossaman's 2018 Public Pensions and Investments Fiduciaries' Forum10.19.2018
- 2018 Conference of California Public Utility Counsel Annual Meeting10.01.2018
- Nossaman's Annual Employment Law SeminarWinter 2018
- Nossaman's 2017 Public Pensions & Investments Fiduciaries' Forum11.30.2017
- Nossaman & University of California, Irvine's 2017 Cybersecurity Symposium10.23.2017
- Nossaman's Drought Solutions Webinar Series10.12.2017
- Nossaman & University of California, Irvine's 2015 Cybersecurity Symposium12.01.2016
- Nossaman & University of California, Irvine's 2015 Cybersecurity Symposium10.12.2015
- 10.20.2016 | The Lexblog Network
- 08.05.2015 | Super Lawyers
- 07.03.2014 | Super Lawyers
- 04.18.2014 | Law360
- 04.10.2014 | Law360
- 07.08.2013 | Super Lawyers
- 09.28.2010 | Daily Journal
- 07.16.2010 | Nossaman News Release
- 07.16.2010 | Super Lawyers
Community & Professional
American Bar Association
St. Thomas More Society
Earl Warren American Inn of Court
Honors & Recognitions
Selected to the Rising Stars list, 2010, 2013-2016
- Loyola Law School, J.D., 2006
- University of California, Berkeley, B.A., 1998
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California