Thomas Dover provides cutting-edge legal strategies focused in all areas of intellectual property, corporate transactions and advertising. His broad, international experience ranges from complex software transactions, to consumer products, to large portfolio management, to entertainment and media interests. He is the Chair of Nossaman's Intellectual Property Group and co-leads the firm’s Privacy/Data Security Team.
Thomas works with transportation entities and agencies throughout California and many other states for infrastructure development, software and technology licensing, and trademark and branding issues. He also has significant experience with new technologies and was among the first attorneys pioneering the direct licensing and distribution of music and entertainment content via the internet and mobile platforms. He represents government and public agencies, internet/digital platform distributors, and content developers for transactional and litigation matters.
Thomas lectures widely on industry topics and serves as Adjunct Professor of Law at a Southern California law school.
SOFTWARE, INTERNET/MEDIA & PRIVACY/DATA SECURITY
- Represents a wide variety of government agencies, public concerns and public-private partnerships (P3) for transactional, licensing and IP prosecution concerns regarding software, hardware and firmware issues generated by toll roads, automated toll collection, security systems and related data collection/security. Representative experience includes:
- California High-Speed Rail Authority
- Transportation Corridor Agencies (TCA, tollroads.com)\
- Indiana Consolidated Justice Facility (P3 agreement)
- Los Angeles World Airports, Automated People Mover
- Maryland Transit Administration Purple Line project (P3 agreement)
- Nevada Department of Transportation Project Neon (design-build contract)
- Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority (all-digital automated parking structures)
- Represents a 2nd-screen streaming content provider including ad-revenue issues, vendor and 3rd party data collection under new CA Online Privacy Protection Act Do Not Track and CA Song-Beverly Credit Card Act regulations. Successfully addressed a MA State inquiry regarding so-called cloud storage of content and security of user personal identifying information (PII) as well as adoption of a Privacy by Design policy.
- Represented a significant German video game developer in the termination (and later litigation) of a publishing agreement and the successful negotiation of an international publishing and marketing agreement for video game exploitation; online and platform distribution. Provided critical services regarding key software licensing and the collection of user data and compliance with U.S., CA-specific and EU then-current Directive 94/46/EC and proposed General Data Protection Regulation.
- Represents several private and public entities and associations in complex software and platform licensing. These engagements often involve complex healthcare, public retirement association or public finance transactions and related issues.
- Represents significant multi-media content producers with focused distribution for internet, digital, mobile, and so-called outdoor display-specific mediums including all variety of software and website development and licensing agreements, consumer data collection, cookies and anonymized geographical trackers.
- Served as General Counsel for an internet media/marketing company during the pre-Anti-SPAM and privacy regulation era. Successfully directed the legal and business efforts to adapt to industry changes while enhancing technology and consumer offerings.
- Served as General Counsel and COO for a start-up online video gaming operation with a proprietary game controller product offering. Negotiated hundreds of international software and video game licenses during the pre-launch phase. Orchestrated the launch of the online operation and product offerings in China.
TRADEMARK & BRANDING
- Represents the trademark portfolios of a variety of public agency or government entities including the TCAs and the San Francisco Bay Ferry (WETA) for all purposes including prosecution, licensing and opposition/cancellation or related litigation.
- Represents significant fashion apparel and accessory brands in IP protection, finance, structure, manufacture, and distribution. Responsible for many celebrity or supermodel brands distributed through mass market and/or electronic retailers.
- Served as General Counsel for a multi-national consumer product/toy manufacturer managing significant litigation along with a portfolio of hundreds of patents. Prosecuted, maintained, and protected several branded product lines. Negotiated and maintained prominent and substantial entertainment/character brand licenses for manufacture. Special awareness of China-based finance and manufacture issues, import/export, and counterfeiting issues.
- Represents a long list of talent including actors, musicians, authors, athletes, supermodels, designers, and personalities. Thomas is a specialist in endorsement, advertising, and licensing agreements.
- Represents significant producers with projects ranging from traditional film and television, to multi-media (internet, digital, mobile, etc.), to new technologies (3D, motion capture, AI, etc.).
- Represents significant celebrity brand consumer product companies for intellectual property production, finance, structure, manufacture, and distribution.
- Legal Challenges Arising From Remote Working and Return to Office Plans, with a Focus on Data Privacy, Employment Rules, and Contract IssuesCALAPRS Attorneys’ Roundtable06.11.2020
- Nossaman's 2019 Public Pensions & Investments Fiduciaries' Forum09.05.2019
- Nossaman's 2019 Public Pensions & Investments Fiduciaries' Forum09.04.2019
- Association of California Water Agencies' 2019 Spring Conference and Exhibition05.07.2019
- CLA Legal Technology Conference05.04.2019
- Nossaman's 2018 Public Pensions and Investments Fiduciaries' Forum10.19.2018
- 2018 California Special Districts Association Annual Conference & Exhibitor Showcase09.25.2018
- 4th Annual West Coast Ambulatory Surgery Center Seminar03.07.2018
- Nossaman's Annual Employment Law Seminar02.09.2018
- Nossaman's 2017 Public Pensions & Investments Fiduciaries' Forum11.30.2017
- Nossaman & University of California, Irvine's 2017 Cybersecurity Symposium10.23.2017
- Transportation Research Board's 56th Annual Workshop on Transportation Law08.01.2017
- Nossaman & University of California, Irvine's 2015 Cybersecurity Symposium12.01.2016
- 3rd Annual West Coast Ambulatory Surgery Center Seminar09.27.2016
- California Ambulatory Surgery Association03.01.2016
- Public Affairs Council02.25.2016
- Nossaman Employment Seminar02.2016
- Nossaman & University of California, Irvine's 2015 Cybersecurity Symposium10.12.2015
Community & Professional
Los Angeles County Bar Association
International Trademark Association, Famous and Well-Known Marks Subcommittee, US (2014-2016, 2016-2018 Terms)
Intellectual Property Owners Association, US Trademark Committee (2014-2015 Term)
International Association of Privacy Professionals
American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Southwestern University School of Law, LL.M., 2006
- Southwestern University School of Law, J.D., 1993
- University of Minnesota, Twin Cities, B.A., 1989
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California