We understand the intricacies of the appeals process. Whether defending a favorable lower court ruling or mounting a successful appeal, we have the experience and the insight to lead cases at the next level.
Our appellate experience includes leading decisions in the fields of constitutional and public law, securities, land use, environmental, and insurance coverage, as well as a wide range of tort, contract, and real property issues.
We understand the rules, the courts and the judges. Our litigators are admitted to nine U.S. Circuit Courts of Appeals, as well as the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit and the Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces. We also have more than two dozen litigators admitted to appear before the U. S. Supreme Court.
Clients trust us to handle their most critical matters. Our diverse appellate experience includes cases involving administrative agency approvals of public utility infrastructure, interpreting the civil service provisions of the California Constitution, the application of legislative history and rules of statutory interpretation, and public agency speech rights. We also handled the appeal of the first case sustaining a tax under the California's Proposition 13. In addition, our litigators routinely appear in appellate courts representing amici curiae.
In addition, we have extensive environmental appellate experience, particularly in Endangered Species Act sections 7, 9, and 10, as well as National Environmental Policy Act, Clean Water Act, and Superfund matters. Our environmental attorneys handle cases before the U.S. Courts of Appeal and have experience seeking Supreme Court review of Circuit Court cases. They handle cases that the Supreme Court has accepted for review and decided, and represent amicus curiae before the Supreme Court.
- 03.18.2020 | California Eminent Domain Report
- 05.20.2022 | Monterey, CA
- 08.03.2022 | Law360
- 06.01.2022 | Nevada Business Magazine
- 05.19.2022 | Law360
- Nossaman Expands Eminent Domain & Valuation Practice with Addition of Prominent Eminent Domain and Appellate Attorney Steve Silva10.13.2021 | Nossaman News Release
- Steve Kaufmann Discusses Appellate Victory Ending Santa Barbara Vacation Rental Ban in the Coastal Zone05.07.2021 | Multiple News Outlets
- 04.06.2021 | Tax Notes
- 11.30.2020 | Bond Buyer
- 11.25.2020 | Law360
- 08.12.2020 | Daily Journal
- 06.15.2020 | Desert Sun
- 02.2020 | Daily Beat and Metropolitan News
- 12.16.2019 | Daily Journal
- 02.11.2019 | Nossaman News Release
- 10.22.2018 | Nossaman Announcement