Whether moving goods from one country to another, helping send goods abroad or bringing goods into the U.S., we work creatively to find solutions that keep business moving.
We assist clients in a wide variety of industries with their international business and trade matters. We help to remove obstructions to the international movement of goods and services. Our attorneys advise on all aspects of importing, and both real and deemed exporting, of goods and technology, including advising on establishing technical trade assistance agreements.
We advise clients on export controls, including addressing Export Administration Regulations and Office of Foreign Assets Control regulations. We help in obtaining export or re-export licenses and special comprehensive licenses from the Department of Commerce, the Office of Foreign Assets Control, and other U.S. Government agencies and assist them in identifying license exceptions. We also assist clients with related matters before the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, including U.S. Customs and Border Protection.
Our attorneys represent clients on import and export matters in federal courts and before administrative and regulatory agencies, including:
- Department of Commerce’s Enforcement and Compliance
- Department of Commerce’s Bureau of Industry and Security
- Department of State’s Directorate of Defense Trade Controls
- Department of Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control
- Department of Defense, Defense Technology Security Administration
- Department of Homeland Security
- U.S. Customs and Border Protection
- U.S. Coast Guard
- U.S. Immigrations and Customs Enforcement
- U.S. International Trade Commission
- U.S. Trade Representative
- Department of Justice
- Assist with Bilateral and multilateral dispute panels
We assist clients in establishing programs for compliance with Export Control and Customs Laws, including training programs, and working with freight forwarders and customs brokers to help advise clients on their products and supply chains. We also help clients with business issues such as compliance with the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS) and with establishing Foreign Trade Zones. Nossaman has also helped obtain U.S. Customs and Border Protection letter rulings and approval of Foreign Trade Zones for in-transit cargo.
We have successfully defended clients accused of customs and export control violations (both civil and criminal), and helped them avoid potential customs duties and penalties, and obtain special licenses and exemptions for exporters.
Our attorneys have worked at the U.S. Department of Commerce and the U.S. International Trade Commission helping provide assistance in unfair trade investigations and proceedings. We have experience with securing product exclusions in tariff investigations (e.g., Section 301 China Tariff Investigation) and from antidumping (i.e., price-dumping) and illegal subsidy (i.e., countervailing duty) investigations. We also have experience with securing specialized government led industry investigations and modifications to tariff regimes.
Representative clients include large multinational commodity producers and multinational importers to small business importers of individual retail items.
We have unique experience with the following proceedings and venues:
- Antidumping (AD)
- Countervailing Duty (CVD)
- Section 201 Investigations – Global Safeguard Cases
- Section 301 Investigations – Violations of Trade Agreements
- Section 332 Investigations – General Fact-finding Investigations
- Suspension Agreements
- Administrative Reviews of AD and CVD investigations
- Product Entry
- Foreign Trade Zone Approval
- Customs Rulings
- Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS) Review
- United States Court of International Trade and United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- 03.02.2022 | Nossaman eAlert
- 02.10.2022 | Nossaman eAlert
- 10.05.2021 | Nossaman eAlert
- 07.02.2020 | Nossaman eAlert
- 08.17.2022 | Crunchbase
- 12.01.2021 | The Hill