Amber Maltbie is a campaign finance and election law attorney, providing strategic counsel to individuals, agencies and organizations engaged in political and lobbying activity. She has advised clients at the federal, state, and local levels and across all 50 states.
In addition to her legal practice, Amber serves the community in a variety of capacities. She is an elected member of the Downtown Los Angeles Neighborhood Council, chairs the Emerge California Board of Directors, and serves as an adjunct faculty member at the University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law, where she teaches Election Law.
Prior to her legal career, Amber spent more than a decade working in politics. She served as Communications Director to a member of the California State Legislature and Campaign Manager and Political Director for a Member of Congress. For two election cycles, Amber worked in targeted congressional districts developing and implementing voter engagement programs around the country. She brings this strategic experience as a seasoned political and communications professional to the table when helping clients develop and navigate their advocacy efforts.
Amber also excels in matters at the intersection between U.S. and international election law, gender issues, and women's political participation. She has been widely recognized as a leading expert in gender and elections, and her work on women's voting rights in emerging democracies has been cited in United Nations Development Programme reports and published by international NGOs. In addition to her scholarly work on women's voting rights, Amber has worked with the International Foundation for Electoral Systems in North Mitrovica, Kosovo during Kosovo’s first Parliamentary elections in 2010.
Corporate Political Giving. Provide strategic counsel and legal advice to nonprofit and for profit companies seeking to support candidates and ballot measures in all 50 states, including any related registration and reporting compliance.
Candidates & Campaign General Counsel. Worked with dozens of Federal and state candidates from the inception of their campaigns. Amber has advised candidate clients through contentious political battles, including fending off recall efforts and successfully pursuing enforcement actions against political opponents that were violating ethics laws.
Anti-SLAPP Litigation. Successfully defended defamation claims against clients for allegedly libelous campaign mail.
State and Federal "Super PACS." Advise PACS from formation, including creation of PAC bylaws, ethics and compliance training of principal officers and PAC board members, review political advertisements, and fundraising solicitations.
Ballot Measures. Advise on all aspects of state and local ballot measures, including drafting language, qualification and petition gathering, campaign finance obligations, and pre-election litigation challenges.
Post-government Employment. Advise former government employees on "revolving door" restrictions when leaving state service for private employment.
"Placement Agents." Advise investment fund managers with regard to their registration and reporting requirements triggered by soliciting public pension funds.
Nonprofits. Advise 501c.3 and 501c.4 nonprofit entities on lobbying and political activities, including reporting and disclosure.
Enforcement and Audits. Represent clients undergoing audit or investigations by the California Fair Political Practices Commission, Los Angeles Ethics Commission, San Francisco Ethics Commission and other local agencies.
- 08.08.2019 | Daily Journal
- 12.20.2018 | Law360
- 08.17.2018 | Law360
- 08.01.2011 | ElectionGuide Digest
- 06.02.2011 | IMPOWR Imprints
- 11.01.2010 | McGeorge Law Review (Vol. 41)
- 11.03.2008 | California Initiative Review
- Babysitting? 'Hush' Payments? Legal Expenses? The Appropriate (and Inappropriate) Uses of Campaign Funds41st Annual Council for Governmental Ethics Laws Conference12.16.2019
- Nossaman Government Relations & Regulation Live Webcast11.05.2019
- American Bar Association's 2019 Fall CLE & Networking Conference10.11.2019
- 2018 Annual California Political Attorneys Association Retreat09.15.2018
- I Got My Toes in the Water & My PAC in the Sand: Addressing Disclosure & Enforcement Issues When Federal PACs Splash into State & Local Elections39th Annual Council on Governmental Ethics Laws Conference12.06.2017
- San Francisco County Transportation Authority Citizens Advisory Council2015
- California Center for Research on Women and Children's "Pathways to Policy" Summit2014, 2015
- Emerge California Trainings2013, 2014, 2015
- Nossaman State and Local Ethics Rules Seminar12.12.2012
- Gifts, Influence, and Public Policy - Navigating the Complex and Strict California Gift Rules for Elected Officials and Form 700 FilersTri-County Lawyers Association09.20.2012
- Tri-County Association of Latino Elected Officials Summit05.05.2012
- 10.09.2019 | Ms. Magazine and ShareBlue Media
- 04.23.2019 | Huffington Post
- 01.16.2019 | San Francisco Chronicle; Sacramento Bee
- 08.05.2015 | Super Lawyers
- 09.19.2014 | Leadership California Institute Inaugural Report
- 07.03.2014 | Super Lawyers
- 02.10.2014 | The Sacramento Bee
- 05.23.2013 | Election Law Blog
- 03.30.2013 | The Sacramento Bee
- 02.08.2013 | Sacramento Business Journal
- 12.06.2012 | The Modesto Bee
- 09.14.2012 | Access Sacramento
- 03.08.2012 | The Jerusalem Post
Community & Professional
Board of Directors, Emerge CA
Recently Elected, Downtown Los Angeles Neighborhood Council
Member, California Bar Association
Member, California Political Attorneys Association
Founder, Former President, General Counsel, Fem Dems of Sacramento
Member, California Political Attorneys Association's Regulatory Committee
McGeorge Capital Center Advisory Board
Honors & Recognitions
Selected to the Rising Stars list for 2014-2015 and 2017.
Four Witkin Awards for academic excellence, including California Initiative Seminar Traynor Honor Society.
- University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law, J.D., 2009, with distinction
- Mills College, B.A., 2002, with honors
OSCE Office for Democratic Institutions and Human Rights, Election Observation Certificate