Bernadette Duran-Brown is a real estate litigation attorney primarily focusing on eminent domain, inverse condemnation, regulatory takings and valuation matters. With more than a decade of experience, she has advised numerous public agencies on complex property acquisitions for a variety of projects including railways, schools, grade separations, bus rapid transit and flood control projects, and has had the privilege to work on some of the largest infrastructure projects in California. In addition, Bernadette has developed a particular expertise in relocation claims and issues arising under the Uniform Relocation Act.
Bernadette plays an integral role in project planning and implementation, from initial planning and the precondemnation acquisition process all the way through trial and appeal. Her experience in project oversight and coordination ensures the necessary steps are taken to meet project construction schedules, thereby minimizing construction delays or the potential loss of project funding. Her team's early involvement results in a high percentage of voluntary acquisitions at a significant cost savings, and where agreements with property owners cannot be reached, her agency clients see far fewer challenges to their right to take or their attempts to secure prejudgment possession.
Bernadette has also worked on a broad-range of real estate matters and has extensive experience assisting clients on landlord/tenant, telecommunications, unlawful detainer, quiet title, land use, water rights and contractual disputes.
San Bernardino County Transportation Authority (SBCTA). Currently representing SBCTA to acquire the property necessary for its Redlands Passenger Rail Project, a 9-mile extension of light rail service from San Bernardino to the City of Redlands, and its Downtown San Bernardino Passenger Rail Project/San Bernardino Transit Center, a $128 million, 1-mile extension of Metrolink service in San Bernardino. Bernadette also represented SBCTA in connection with the acquisition of 150+ parcels for its sbX E-Street Corridor Bus Rapid Transit Project, a 15.7 mile bus rapid transit line which connects to the rail system at the Transit Center and provides passengers easy access to alternative modes of transportation.
San Diego Association of Governments (SANDAG). Currently representing SANDAG with project planning, environmental approval, and right-of-way acquisitions for the Mid-Coast Corridor Transit Project, and also represented SANDAG on the Sorrento Valley Double Track Project, the South Bay BRT Project, and the Inland Rail Trails Project.
Southern California Edison Company. Assisted Edison with acquiring property necessary for its Falcon Ridge Substation Project, which includes construction of a new substation and installation of 66 kV subtransmission lines and related appurtenances in the cities of Fontana, Rancho Cucamonga and Rialto.
City of Modesto. Currently assisting the City with acquiring property necessary for its State Route 132 West Expressway Project, a $214 million highway project which includes construction of a new four lane freeway/expressway and related bridges and appurtenances.
Honolulu Authority for Rapid Transit. Currently assisting HART with acquiring certain complex, high-value parcels and advising it on relocation issues for its Honolulu Rail Transit Project, a $6.7 billion passenger rail project that will provide a 20-mile rail corridor with twenty-one (21) new transit stations and a maintenance and storage facility.
Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority. Currently assisting Metro with property acquisitions necessary for two light rail transit lines: the $2+ billion LAX/Crenshaw Transit Corridor Project, an 8.5-mile light rail line with eight stations and the $6+ billion Westside Subway Extension Project (Purple Line), a 9-mile rail line with seven stations, which involve passenger rail lines running through dense, urban areas of Los Angeles. The work includes acquiring numerous properties for transit stations, construction staging areas, and easement rights.
Exposition Metro Line Construction Authority. Assisted Expo with acquiring commercially developed properties in Santa Monica necessary for terminal stations for Phase II of the Project, along with securing easements for street widening and utility relocations.
- 09.29.2015 | Law360
- 03.17.2014 | The Appraisal Journal
- 09.11.2013 | Law360
- 05.22.2013 | Law360
- 01.04.2013 | Daily Journal
- 11.06.2019 | California Eminent Domain Report
- 09.06.2019 | California Eminent Domain Report
- 11.08.2017 | California Eminent Domain Report
- 03.14.2017 | California Eminent Domain Report
- 08.17.2016 | California Eminent Domain Report
- 05.25.2016 | California Eminent Domain Report
- 05.03.2016 | California Eminent Domain Report
- 04.29.2016 | California Eminent Domain Report
- 03.23.2016 | California Eminent Domain Report
- 09.16.2015 | California Eminent Domain Report
- 05.26.2015 | California Eminent Domain Report
- 03.18.2014 | California Eminent Domain Report
- 02.20.2014 | California Eminent Domain Report
- 01.13.2014 | California Eminent Domain Report
- 10.31.2013 | California Eminent Domain Report
- 09.13.2013 | California Eminent Domain Report
- 09.11.2013 | California Eminent Domain Report
- 09.09.2013 | California Eminent Domain Report
- 08.08.2013 | California Eminent Domain Report
- 07.23.2013 | California Eminent Domain Report
- 05.23.2013 | California Eminent Domain Report
- 05.06.2013 | California Eminent Domain Report
- 01.11.2013 | California Eminent Domain Report
- 12.19.2012 | California Eminent Domain Report
- 12.03.2012 | California Eminent Domain Report
- Southern California Chapter of the Appraisal Institute’s 52nd Annual Litigation Seminar11.07.2019
- Right of Way Best Practices in Light of Recent Trends and Developments in Eminent Domain and Land Use LawTransportation Research Board's 58th Annual Workshop on Transportation Law07.23.2019
- Transportation Research Board 2019 Annual Meeting01.15.2019
- Southern California Appraisal Institute11.01.2018
- Transportation Research Board's 57th Annual Workshop on Transportation Law07.17.2018
- 2018 Northern California Eminent Domain Seminar Hosted by Nossaman LLP and Bender Rosenthal, Inc.04.18.2018
- Nossaman's 2018 Southern California Eminent Domain Seminar03.29.2018
- International Right of Way Association Chapter 1 26th Annual Valuation Seminar02.13.2018
- American Law Institute's 35th Annual Advanced Course on Eminent Domain & Land Valuation Litigation01.26.2018
- Transportation Research Board's 97th Annual Meeting01.08.2018
- Southern California Appraisal Institute's 50th Annual Litigation Seminar11.09.2017
- Transportation Research Board's 56th Annual Workshop on Transportation Law07.31.2017
- University of Southern California Gould School of Law04.2017
- International Right of Way Association Chapter 67 Luncheon02.14.2017
- Legislative Grace or Constitutional Command: Are Reasonable Attorney Fees a Constitutional Requirement?American Law Institute Eminent Domain & Land Valuation Litigation Conference01.26.2017
- Condemnation Summit XIX10.21.2016
- International Right of Way International Conference06.14.2016
- Nossaman's 2016 Northern California Eminent Domain Seminar03.01.2016
- Continuing Legal Education Eminent Domain Conference02.26.2016
- Eminent Domain Update: The Passage of AB2 and the Creation of Community Revitalization and Investment AuthoritiesOrange County Bar Association Real Estate Section Meeting02.23.2016
- Appraisal Institute San Diego Chapter, Intro to Right of Way Appraising Seminar11.12.2015
- International Right of Way Chapter 67 Luncheon11.10.2015
- Appraisal Institute Annual Litigation Seminar11.13.2014
- International Right of Way Chapter 57 Educational Seminar10.17.2014
- Cal Poly Pomona & Orange County Chapter of the California Land Surveyors Association’s Joint Conference09.26.2014
- International Right of Way Chapter 1 Annual Valuation Seminar04.24.2014
- Nossaman's 2014 Eminent Domain Seminar03.20.2014
- International Right of Way Chapter 1 Annual Fall Seminar10.23.2012
- American Society of Appraisers Seminar03.21.2012
- 10.06.2015 | KCRW
- 06.10.2015 | Super Lawyers
- 06.06.2014 | Super Lawyers
Community & Professional
Women in Transportation, Orange County Chapter, Mentoring Chair
International Right of Way Association, Chapter 67
Orange County Bar Association
Honors & Recognitions
Selected to the Rising Stars List for 2014-2018