Artin Shaverdian is widely recognized as an expert in California in real estate, eminent domain and inverse condemnation matters. He represents public agencies, business entities and individuals in commercial and real estate related disputes, including valuation-related litigation.
Artin represents public agencies as lead counsel on the acquisition of thousands of parcels of real property. He works on some of the largest public works projects shaping California’s infrastructure, including roads, highways, utilities, grade separations, rail projects, schools, flood basins and redevelopment projects. Agencies regularly invite him to host seminars for their in-house counsel and real estate staff on legal issues in the right-of-way industry and to assist in streamlining their precondemnation planning including relocation.
It is this experience and understanding of government agencies which has also resulted in unparalleled success representing property and business owners in eminent domain/inverse condemnation litigation. On their behalf, he has pursued claims against multiple governmental agencies across California recovering millions of dollars.
Clients also turn to him with other real property related matters including land use matters, purchase and sale transactions, rent stabilization issues, leasing, title and escrow matters and quiet title actions.
Artin’s work with public agencies as well as business and property owners has connected him with leaders in the transportation, healthcare, cannabis, technology and hospitality sectors, among others. He has worked with these companies to identify and help remedy issues related to licensing, regulatory, corporate, contracting, construction, medical staff/healthcare and employment practices.
Representative clients Artin has counseled and continues to counsel include Virgin Hyperloop One, Adventist Health, Consulate General and Department of Foreign Affairs of Foreign Nations, along with dozens of public agencies, such as the Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority; the California High-Speed Rail Authority; the Austin Transit Partnership; Capital Southeast Connector JPA; Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority; Riverside County Transportation Commission; County of Stanislaus; the cities of Modesto, Bakersfield, Ventura, Ontario, Gardena, Pico Rivera, Pomona, Los Angeles and South Gate; the Bakersfield, Cathedral City and Glendale redevelopment agencies; Southern California Edison; Milpitas Unified School District; Los Angeles Unified School District; Oxnard Union High School District; High Desert Water District; and the Orange County Flood Control District.
Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority. Currently assisting Metro with acquisition of properties for (i) the Westside Subway Extension Project, a $6-plus billion, 9-mile subway extension in Los Angeles and (ii) the LAX/Crenshaw Transit Corridor Project, a $2+ billion, 8.5-mile light rail line in Los Angeles and (iii) the Rosecrans/Marquardt Grade Separation Project.
City of Los Angeles / Los Angeles World Airports (LAWA). Currently assisting LAWA with acquisition of properties and advising on real property matters related to a $5 billion program to ease access in and out of LAX airport by developing a consolidated rent-a-car center, an elevated 2.5-mile automated people mover system, intermodal transportation facilities and a joint station connecting to Los Angeles’ rail system.
City of Los Angeles / Los Angeles Department of Water and Power (LADWP). Currently assisting LADWP with precondemnation planning, acquisition of properties and advising on real property matters related to LADWP’s Rosamond Switching Station, a power improvement project to help increase the use of sustainable renewable energy sources while decreasing the production of greenhouse gas and air pollution.
Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority. Currently advising the VTA on complex right-of-way property acquisition, relocation and environmental matters for the VTA’s BART Silicon Valley Phase II Project, a $4.7 billion, 6-mile light-rail line.
California High Speed Rail Authority. Currently advising the California High Speed Rail Authority in multiple real estate, acquisition and relocation matters. Providing the Authority advice on precondemnation planning, relocation planning and oversight, regulatory compliance, utility relocations and other complex property acquisition issues for the 80-mile Merced to Fresno segment of the project.
County of Stanislaus. Currently advising the County on real property acquisition and relocation issues including eminent domain litigation for (i) the State Route 108/North County Corridor Phase I Project which involves the construction of a new four-lane expressway, a new interchange and grade separated structures; and (ii) replacement of the historic 7th Street Bridge Project.
City of Modesto. Currently representing the City of Modesto in myriad real estate and right-of-way matters including pre-litigation, eminent domain and inverse condemnation legal services for the State Route 132 West Freeway/Expressway Phase 1 Project involving the acquisition of dozens of commercial, farmland, orchard and residential parcels.
Austin Transit Partnership. Currently advising ATP, a CapMetro and City of Austin joint venture, on real property acquisition and related matters for Project Connect which will expand and improve the transit network, including new light rail lines, four new MetroRapid lines, a subway and more services across the city.
City of Ventura. Currently representing the City of San Buenaventura in with property acquisitions and real estate-related issues for the Ventura Water Pure Project.
City of Bakersfield. Currently representing the City of Bakersfield with precondemnation planning and condemnation of over 400 parcels for the Centennial Corridor Improvement Project involving relocation of 300 residential occupants and over 150 businesses. Notable acquisition and relocation matters include a rehabilitation hospital, a large bank, a self-storage property including the relocation of 300+ storage units and the relocation of a complex oil and gas operation.
County of Los Angeles. Currently representing the County of Los Angeles in various real estate related matters including quiet title actions related to tax sale of properties.
Consulate General and Department of Foreign Affairs of Foreign Nations. Represent the department of foreign affairs of a foreign nation in various real estate matters including multiple commercial lease negotiations and options.
Rancho Maria Golf Club, Inc. v. Orcutt et al. Currently representing RMGC, Inc. in real property matters involving land use, water rights and quiet title issues related to a large scale proposed residential development impacting client’s property and golf course.
Sweet Flower Pasadena, LLC. Currently representing client in multiple litigation matters related to applications for CUPs to operate cannabis retail locations in Pasadena.
San Diego Association of Governments. Represented SANDAG with property acquisitions for the Mid-Coast Corridor Transit Project, a $1.7 billion, 11-mile trolley line extension from downtown San Diego to University City.
Exposition Metro Line Construction Authority. Represented Expo with acquisition of multiple properties for the Expo Light Rail Transit Project, a $2-plus billion, 15-mile light rail line connecting downtown Los Angeles with Santa Monica.
Los Angeles Unified School District. Acquisition of more than 200 properties by eminent domain for one of the state’s largest acquisition and construction projects consisting of approximately 120 schools. Co-led teams of attorneys representing and advising the Los Angeles Unified School District, providing pre-litigation advisory services up through trial and appeal for the acquisition of residential, commercial and industrial properties involving litigation of complex contamination, easement and right to take issues.
Riverside County Transportation Commission. Represented the Riverside County Transportation Commission in the pre-litigation planning and acquisition of hundreds of parcels of full and part-take residential, commercial and industrial properties, including relocation advisory services through litigation, for the SR-91 Corridor Improvement Project, a $1.4 billion design-build project to add regular and tolled expressed lanes and make improvements extending from the Riverside County/Orange County line to the I-15. Defended multiple right-to-take challenges and obtained timely prejudgment possession of hundreds of parcels to meet critical construction, FHWA certification and funding deadlines.
Milpitas Unified School District. Represented the District with pre-litigation advisory services pertaining to the acquisition of a complex ground lease and valuation of a commercial/industrial R&D facility with dozens of business relocations for a school expansion project.
Southern California Edison. Represented SCE with right-of-way acquisition services for the relocation of electric transmission lines including transmission towers and subsurface utilities throughout the City of Ontario.
High Desert Water District. Represented the High Desert Water District in Yucca Valley in the planning and acquisition of subsurface sewer easements and other property interests from over 270 parcels for its Wastewater Reclamation Project.
City of Ontario Grade Separation. Represented the City of Ontario in the acquisition of parcels for the South Milliken Ave. and North Vineyard Ave. grade separation projects comprising partial and full acquisitions of commercial and industrial properties in partnership with SANBAG and Union Pacific Railroad and consisting of complex real property and business valuation, access and utility relocation issues.
Cities of Gardena, Pico Rivera and Pomona. Represented the various cities in multiple eminent domain and inverse condemnation matters in connection with several grade separation projects.
Glendale Redevelopment Agency. Represented the Glendale Redevelopment Agency in the acquisition of dozens of parcels of commercial and residential properties for the Americana at Brand project.
- 02.18.2021 | California Eminent Domain Report
- 08.30.2019 | California Eminent Domain Report
- 07.30.2019 | California Eminent Domain Report
- 06.13.2019 | California Eminent Domain Report
- Court of Appeal Provides Timely Reminder Regarding a Contractor’s Use of Property for Staging and Proper Calculation of Damages for Demise of Redwood Tree11.15.2018 | California Eminent Domain Report
- 03.14.2017 | California Eminent Domain Report
- 05.19.2016 | California Eminent Domain Report
- 01.15.2016 | California Eminent Domain Report
- 10.30.2015 | California Eminent Domain Report
- Nossaman’s Eminent Domain Practice Group Attending the Transportation Research Board’s 94th Annual Meeting In Washington D.C.01.14.2015 | California Eminent Domain Report
- The Unintended Effects of Protecting the Environment – How Banning Fracking Can Lead San Benito County To Bankruptcy11.24.2014 | California Eminent Domain Report
- Nossaman’s 2023 Southern California Eminent Domain Seminar03.28.2023
- Nossaman’s 2023 Northern California Eminent Domain Seminar03.14.2023
- Nossaman Webinar02.24.2022
- Nossaman Webinar02.11.2021
- Nossaman Webinar04.01.2020
- CLE International's 22nd Annual Eminent Domain Conference – The Basics & Beyond03.05.2020
- IRWA Chapter 1 September 2019 Luncheon09.17.2019
- Nossaman's 2019 Northern California Eminent Domain Seminar03.26.2019
- Nossaman's 2019 Southern California Eminent Domain Seminar03.19.2019
- 2018 Northern California Eminent Domain Seminar Hosted by Nossaman LLP and Bender Rosenthal, Inc.04.18.2018
- Nossaman's 2018 Southern California Eminent Domain Seminar03.29.2018
- International Right of Way Association Chapter 1's 25th Annual Valuation Seminar04.25.2017
- Nossaman's 2017 Northern California Eminent Domain Seminar03.08.2017
- International Right of Way Association Chapter 2 Meeting11.09.2016
- Settlement Techniques for Land Use and Eminent Domain Litigation: Beyond Mere MoneyTransportation Research Board Legal Conference07.20.2016
- Managing Transportation Projects: Effective Techniques and StrategiesInternational Right of Way Association Education Conference06.23.2016
- International Right of Way Association's Chapter 42 Spring Conference04.29.2016
- 2nd Annual IRWA Chapter 57 and SCCAI Joint Luncheon and Program04.06.2016
- Nossaman's 2016 Southern California Eminent Domain Seminar03.03.2016
- Nossaman's 2016 Northern California Eminent Domain Seminar03.01.2016
- Sacramento American Public Works Association Transportation Committee Meeting02.23.2016
- 2015 International Right of Way Association Chapter 1 Fall Seminar10.09.2015
- American Society of Appraisers Webinar06.09.2015
- Nossaman's 2015 Southern California Eminent Domain Seminar03.05.2015
- 02.07.2023 | Los Angeles Business Journal
- 08.03.2022 | Law360
- 05.19.2022 | Law360
- 01.17.2022 | Modesto Bee
- 07.19.2021 | International Right of Way Association Chapter One
- 03.12.2020 | Right of Way Magazine
- 01.28.2019 | Los Angeles Business Journal
- 06.10.2015 | Super Lawyers
- 09.22.2014 | The Recorder
- 09.19.2014 | Cali Chronicles
- 09.17.2014 | L.A. Biz
Community & Professional
Transportation Research Board, Eminent Domain and Land Use Committee
American Bar Association – Litigation Section
Association of Business Trial Lawyers (Los Angeles), Member
Los Angeles County Bar Association – Real Property and Litigation Section
International Right of Way Association – Chapter 1, Past-President
Construction Management Association of America, Member
Armenian Bar Association, Member
California Department of Real Estate, Registered Agent
Honors & Recognitions
Recognized as Leaders of Influence: Minority Attorneys by the Los Angeles Business Journal, 2023
Listed, The Legal 500 United States, Industry Focus - Real Estate - Land Use/Zoning, 2022
Named "Professional of the Year" by the International Right of Way Association (IRWA) – Chapter 1, 2021
Featured on the cover of Right of Way Magazine for the March/April issue, 2020
Named one of the Most Influential Minority Attorneys in Los Angeles by the Los Angeles Business Journal, 2019
Selected to the Southern California Rising Stars list, 2011, 2013-2015
- University of Southern California, B.S.
- Southwestern University School of Law, J.D., 2002
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California