Steve Silva focuses his practice on problem solving. He regularly practices in civil litigation, including eminent domain, real estate litigation and contested probate litigation, with a heavy emphasis on appellate litigation, trial practice, governmental interface and law and motion. He has a strong alternative dispute resolution focus in disputed cases. Steve also provides advice and guidance to government entities, regulated entities and businesses.
Prior to entering private practice, Steve served as a Staff Attorney for the Supreme Court of the State of Nevada. He also was a Judicial Law Clerk for The Honorable Patrick Flanagan, Second Judicial District Court for the State of Nevada, Reno, Nevada. During law school, Steve was a Judicial Extern for The Honorable John A. Houston, United States District Court, Southern District of California, San Diego, California.
- Represented public entity in mediation and arbitration over valuation of exercise of purchase option of multiple-building campus where range of value was $167M to $305M.
- First chair as trial counsel in jury trial to acquire property for public improvement project.
- Drafted successful petition for writ of mandamus to Nevada Supreme Court to determine number of properties at issues in an eminent domain action.
- Represented public entity in appellate court in action concerning public liability arising from the planning of a public improvement project.
- Represented utility company in contested transfer of abandoned facilities to underlying landowner.
- Serves as general counsel for water company.
- 2021 Annual Conference of the Nevada Chapter of the American Planning Association and the Nevada Chapter of the American Society of Landscape Architects10.19.2021
- Nossaman Expands Eminent Domain & Valuation Practice with Addition of Prominent Eminent Domain and Appellate Attorney Steve Silva10.13.2021 | Nossaman News Release
Community & Professional
State Bar of Nevada, Appellate Litigation Section Chair
State Bar of Nevada, Bench-Bar Committee Member
Reno Municipal Court, Judge Pro Tem Pool
Reno Young Business Professionals
Washoe County Bar Association
Clark County Bar Association
Truckee Meadows Community College, ABA Paralegal Program, Instructor of Property Law and Civil Procedure
Honors & Recognitions
Included in The Best Lawyers in America© for the Practice Area of Appellate Practice, 2020-2022
Recognized as one of the San Diego Top Lawyers, Real Estate, San Diego magazine, 2021
Recognized as Legal Elite, Northern Nevada, Nevada Business magazine, 2014-2016, 2018, 2020-2021
Selected to the Top Up-and-Coming Attorneys, Nevada, Nevada Business magazine, 2018
Selected to the Super Lawyers Rising Star list in Mountain West States, 2017-2019
AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- California Western School of Law, J.D., 2010, cum laude; Associate Editor & Writer, California Western Law Review & California Western International Law Review
- University of Massachusetts Boston, B.A., 2007, magna cum laude
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court, Nevada