Steve Silva focuses his practice on problem solving. He regularly practices in civil litigation in Nevada and California, including eminent domain and real estate litigation, with a heavy emphasis on appellate litigation, trial practice, governmental interface and law and motion. Steve has a strong alternative dispute resolution focus in disputed cases. He also provides advice and guidance to government entities, regulated entities and businesses.
Prior to entering private practice, Steve served as a Staff Attorney for the Supreme Court of the State of Nevada. He also was a Judicial Law Clerk for The Honorable Patrick Flanagan, Second Judicial District Court for the State of Nevada, Reno, Nevada. During law school, Steve was a Judicial Extern for The Honorable John A. Houston, United States District Court, Southern District of California, San Diego, California.
- Represented public entity in mediation and arbitration over valuation of exercise of purchase option of multiple-building campus where range of value was $167M to $305M.
- First chair as trial counsel in jury trial to acquire property for public improvement project.
- Assisted Southern California transportation agency in acquiring right of way with disputed severance damages resulting in a favorable settlement to the agency.
- Represented national retail corporation in negotiating revisions to road design to avoid significant impact to retail operations.
- Drafted successful petition for writ of mandamus to Nevada Supreme Court to determine number of properties at issues in an eminent domain action.
- Represented public entity in appellate court in action concerning public liability arising from the planning of a public improvement project.
- Represented utility company in contested transfer of abandoned facilities to underlying landowner.
- Served as general counsel for water company.
- Nevada Appellate Practice Manual2021
- Nevada Real Property Practice Manual2021
- Nevada Civil Practice Manual2016-2021
- Taking 5 in 2020: Eminent Domain and Takings Update12.2020 | Nevada Lawyer
- Closed for Business – Open for Litigation?04.29.2020 | Northwestern University Law Review, Of Note
- Nevada Civil Jury Instruction2018
- Correcting the Cuneiform Record07.2018 | Nevada Lawyer
- Alternate Dispute Resolution in Condemnation Cases: An Eminently Agreeable Solution07.2018 | ALI CLE’s The Practical Real Estate Lawyer
- 05.26.2023 | California Eminent Domain Report
- 02.09.2023 | California Eminent Domain Report
- 01.25.2023 | California Eminent Domain Report
- 10.31.2022 | California Eminent Domain Report
- 06.23.2022 | California Eminent Domain Report
- 03.01.2022 | California Eminent Domain Report
- International Right of Way Association’s 69th Annual International Education Conference06.25.2023 – 06.28.2023
- Nossaman’s 2023 Southern California Eminent Domain Seminar03.28.2023
- Nossaman’s 2023 Northern California Eminent Domain Seminar03.14.2023
- American Law Institute Continuing Legal Education's Eminent Domain and Land Valuation Litigation 202302.02.2023 – 02.04.2023
- 2022 Right of Way Consultants Council’s (ROWCC) Fall Membership Meeting11.04.2022
- International Right of Way Association's 68th Annual International Education Conference06.06.2022
- 2021 Annual Conference of the Nevada Chapter of the American Planning Association and the Nevada Chapter of the American Society of Landscape Architects10.19.2021
- Planning Law and EthicsAmerican Planning Association, Nevada Chapter10.06.2021
- Title and Easement Issues2021 Western States Surveyor’s Conference03.29.2021
- The Lawyers’ Ethical Duties in Condemnation: Government and Owner’s Counsel Perspectives01.29.2021
- Jury Trial Rights in Takings Cases: Current PracticeALI-CLE Eminent Domain and Land Valuation Litigation 202001.23.2020
- Eminent Domain UpdateNevada Government Civil Attorneys Conference2020
- 08.17.2023 | Best Lawyers
- 07.01.2023 | ProPublica
- 06.01.2023 | Nevada Business Magazine
- 04.01.2023 | International Municipal Lawyers Association
- 08.18.2022 | Best Lawyers
- 06.01.2022 | Nevada Business Magazine
- 10.20.2021 | Multiple News Outlets
- Nossaman Expands Eminent Domain & Valuation Practice with Addition of Prominent Eminent Domain and Appellate Attorney Steve Silva10.13.2021 | Nossaman News Release
Community & Professional
State Bar of Nevada, Appellate Litigation Section Chair
State Bar of Nevada, Bench-Bar Committee Member
State Bar of Nevada, Member, Commission on Revisions to Nevada Rules of Appellate Procedure
Reno Municipal Court, Judge Pro Tem
Reno Young Business Professionals, Member
Washoe County Bar Association, Member
Clark County Bar Association, Member
Truckee Meadows Community College, ABA Paralegal Program, Instructor of Property Law and Civil Procedure
Honors & Recognitions
International Municipal Lawyers Association, Amicus Award, 2023
Included in The Best Lawyers in America© for Commercial Litigation and Litigation - Real Estate, 2023-2024
Included in The Best Lawyers in America© for Appellate Practice, 2020-2024
Recognized as a Top Rank Attorney, Northern Nevada, Nevada Business Magazine, 2022 and 2023
Listed, The Legal 500 United States, Industry Focus - Real Estate - Land Use/Zoning, 2022
Recognized as one of the San Diego Top Lawyers, Real Estate, San Diego magazine, 2021
Recognized as Legal Elite, Northern Nevada, Nevada Business Magazine, 2014-2016, 2018, 2020-2021
Selected to the Top Up-and-Coming Attorneys, Northern Nevada, Nevada Business Magazine, 2018
Selected to the Super Lawyers Rising Star list in Mountain West States, 2017-2021
AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- California Western School of Law, J.D., 2010, cum laude; Associate Editor & Writer, California Western Law Review & California Western International Law Review
- University of Massachusetts Boston, B.A., 2007, magna cum laude
- U.S. District Court, Nevada
- U.S. Supreme Court