We represent public entities in the water industry in matters of general public agency law. Our services include compliance with the Ralph M. Brown Act, conflicts of interest, elections law, construction law, and the Public Records Act.
Clients turn to use for assistance in numerous areas:
- Performing complex analyses pursuant to the Political Reform Act and Government Code Section 1090 regarding financial conflicts of interest.
- Preparing policies on a variety of subject matters, including purchasing policies, Public Records Act compliance and document retention policies, investment policies, collection policies, and personnel policies.
- Representing clients in proceedings before Local Agency Formation Commissions (LAFCOs), including the creation and formation of various types of special districts, as well as annexations, detachments and the expansion of district powers.
- Assisting in public agency's efforts in lobbying at state level for legislative amendments.
- Assisting in the qualification, application, authorization and appropriation for state and federal grant funds.
- Representing cities and special districts in negotiations with employee unions governed by the Meyers-Milias-Brown Act.
- Prosecuting municipal code violations, including criminal matters, as deputy city attorney for cities.
- Preparing resolutions, ordinances, staff memos, public hearing notices, consultant agreements and related documents.
- Assisting with public works projects, including preparation of bid specifications, bidding disputes, bidders compliance, due diligence, bid awards and construction contracts.
- Representing public agencies in construction contract disputes and settlement negotiations.
- Assisting with prevailing wage determinations and applicability.
- Preparing numerous ordinances and related documentation for levying and collection of various types of charges.
- Assisting cities and special districts with compliance with California Propositions 13, 62 and 218, including conducting majority protest hearings.
- Representing public agencies in trial and appellate matters involving the imposition of fees (Proposition 13, 62 and 218) for water supply projects.
- Advising on matters related to elections, including preparation of ballot measures and supporting materials, initiatives and referenda, campaign finance matters, permissible campaign activities by public employees and public officials and prosecution and defense of quo warranto actions.
- Assisting with decennial redistricting, including required pre-clearance through U.S. Department of Justice pursuant to the Voting Rights Act of 1967.
- 11.19.2020 | California Water Views
- WEBINAR: Flood or Drought? A Discussion of the Election’s Potential Legislative Impacts on the Water Sector11.18.2020 | California Water Views
- 10.23.2020 | California Water Views
- 10.16.2020 | California Water Views
- 08.12.2020 | California Water Views
- 04.24.2020 | California Water Views
- 04.20.2020 | California Water Views
- 04.13.2020 | California Water Views
- 03.26.2020 | California Water Views
- Executive Order N-29-20 Authorizing Public Meetings Entirely by Teleconference or Other Electronic Means03.19.2020 | California Water Views
- 03.13.2020 | California Water Views
- 10.08.2019 | Seattle, WA