We advise and represent clients in all types of application, rulemaking, complaint, and investigatory proceedings. Our representation includes proceedings that adopt regulations applicable to the entire industry, to individual utility rate increase proceedings, merger and acquisition transactions, and water quality matters before the CPUC and other state administrative agencies.
We frequently represent investor-owned water utility clients in rate cases, water supply assessments, service area extensions, water resource planning, water quality regulation and other matters before the California Public Utilities Commission and the State Legislature. Our attorneys have participated actively and influentially in the development of rules and regulations for the investor-owned water industry, an industry that remains subject to traditional monopoly utility regulation.
Our advisory work includes providing legal advice and opinions about the limits of regulatory agency jurisdiction. We offer counsel on agency authorization and procedural requirements, expectations as to the substance and timing of action by the CPUC and other regulatory agencies on proposed or pending matters. We also provide strategic advice as to how to achieve success on issues and cases before various state and federal agencies.
Our compliance work includes preparing, submitting, and overseeing the progress of applications to the CPUC and other governmental agencies. We handle applications for operating authority and rate changes, as well as more routine matters such as tariff filings, license renewals, financial reports and other compliance filings.
Our representation also includes complex matters such as complaints by customers and property developers. We represent clients in negotiations with regulatory agency enforcement and compliance staff regarding alleged violations of applicable rules or regulations. We also address penalties that may be imposed in connection with such cases.
- 08.05.2020 | Law360
- As California Burns, Inverse Condemnation and Cost Recovery Issues Dominate California's Electric Utilities' Legal Framework11.07.2019 | Daily Journal
- 03.03.2016 | Nossaman eAlert
- 03.12.2014 | Law 360
- 11.27.2013 | Fortnightly's Spark
- 08.12.2020 | California Water Views
- 06.30.2020 | California Water Views
- WOTS Next? An Update on the Clean Water Act and Regulation of Waters of the State & Waters of the U.S.06.25.2020 | California Water Views
- 06.05.2020 | California Water Views
- 05.15.2020 | California Water Views
- 04.20.2020 | California Water Views
- 04.13.2020 | California Water Views
- 04.09.2020 | California Water Views
- 03.30.2020 | California Water Views
- 03.26.2020 | California Water Views
- Executive Order N-29-20 Authorizing Public Meetings Entirely by Teleconference or Other Electronic Means03.19.2020 | California Water Views
- 03.13.2020 | California Water Views
- 12.04.2019 | San Diego, CA
- 12.03.2019 | San Diego, CA
- 10.08.2019 | Seattle, WA
- Preparedness, Relief, and Recovery: Developments in Disaster Management for California Water Providers05.15.2019 | Webinar
- Preparedness, Relief, and Recovery: Regulatory Developments in Disaster Management for Water Providers02.28.2019