Yukiko Kojima offers clients unique experience with highly innovative alternative delivery strategies for large-scale infrastructure projects in the U.S. because of her deep knowledge of national best practices as well as Canada’s mature P3 market. She primarily advises public agencies in the use of methods such as P3 and design-build, but also represents private-sector participants on select projects.
Yukiko takes an active role in Nossaman’s P3 practice initiatives in the social infrastructure area, and co-authored the Firm's model social infrastructure P3 legislation. She served on the national board of Design Build Institute of America and chaired its P3 Committee from its inception.
Before joining Nossaman, she was a partner in the leading P3 practice of a Canadian law firm in Vancouver and Tokyo where she assisted successful and shortlisted bidders on numerous award-winning P3 projects in Canada.
City of Los Angeles – Convention Center Renovation and Expansion. Leader of the legal team retained by the City of Los Angeles to help negotiate and draft an implementation agreement for the Los Angeles Convention Center (LACC) expansion P3 project, for which the City entered into an Exclusive Negotiation Agreement with AEG/Plenary, as developer, in January 2019. The resulting expansion would add at least 190,000 square feet of additional contiguous exhibit space, 55,000 square feet of meeting room space and at least 95,000 square feet of multi-purpose space to the existing facility. This project also includes the renovation of the Gilbert Lindsay Plaza as a pedestrian-friendly open space that can support LACC’s outdoor events and the public.
Denver International Airport – Jeppesen Terminal Redevelopment Project (“Great Hall Project”). Leader of the legal team that advised the City and County of Denver on the Great Hall Project, which involved a complex, multi-faceted upgrade of Denver International Airport’s signature Jeppesen Terminal and the development and management of a new concessions program within the terminal. The $1.8 billion P3 project combined an availability payment structure with shared revenue risk on the concessions program. The project reached financial close in December 2017. Yukiko’s services included drafting and negotiating the development agreement and advising on implementation issues.
The Regents of the University of California – UC Merced 2020 Campus Expansion Project. Key member of the legal team advising the University of California on this high profile project to accommodate growth of the university system’s newest campus from the current 6,700 students to 10,000 students by 2020. The $1.3 billion project, procured as an availability payment-based P3, will add approximately 790,000 assignable square feet of a mix of new revenue-generation and non-revenue generating facilities, including student housing, administrative and research space, classrooms and recreational centers and associated infrastructure. The project reached commercial and financial close in August 2016, and the first two phases were successfully delivered on time for the 2018 and 2019 academic years. Yukiko’s services included assisting with structuring the procurement, drafting and finalizing procurement and contract documents, and developing the evaluation process. Following closing, she is advising on legal issues arising from the implementation of the project. Project Finance International named the project the 2016 “Americas P3 Deal of the Year” and IJ Global honored it as the 2016 “North American Social Infrastructure Deal of the Year.” In 2017, the Board of Regents and the University received the silver award in the “Government Agency of the Year” category, and claimed the gold award for “Best Social Infrastructure Project” at the P3 Bulletin awards ceremony.
Florida Department of Transportation – I-4 Ultimate Project. Key member of the legal team that advised on development and negotiation of contract and procurement documents for this innovative highway improvement. The $2.3 billion DBFOM project is the largest availability payment transaction ever undertaken in the United States. Financing for the project, which achieved commercial and financial close in September 2014, included a $949 million TIFIA loan – the largest sum ever secured through the federal lending program. I-4 earned several awards in 2014. Yukiko drafted the contract documents, participated in one-on-one meetings with shortlisted proposers, assisted with the evaluation process and assisted with the negotiation and finalization of contract documents and the closing process.
New York State Thruway Authority – Tappan Zee Bridge. Key member of the legal team that advised on a project Gov. Andrew Cuomo has described as the state’s most pressing infrastructure need – replacement of an aging three-mile-long cantilever bridge over the Hudson River with a new cable-stayed, dual-span structure designed to last a century. To help deliver the project, Nossaman drafted procurement and contract documents and assisted with the procurement, which resulted in the award of a $3.1 billion design-build contract with to a Fluor-led consortium – $800 million less than the next lowest bidder – in the first such deal undertaken by the transportation agency and the largest in the country to date. The contractor started construction in 2013 and the new Governor Mario M. Cuomo Bridge opened to traffic in 2017. Yukiko’s services included reviewing enabling legislation, assessing project risk, producing procurement and contract documents, participating in meetings with proposers and contract negotiations.
Maryland Transit Administration and Maryland Department of Transportation – Purple Line Light Rail. Member of the legal team advised on Maryland’s first transit P3 project – an approximately $2 billion (capital cost) light rail system that will significantly facilitate mobility between the Maryland suburbs and Washington, D.C. The project, Maryland’s largest P3, reached commercial close in April 2016 and financial close in June 2016. Construction commenced in September 2017. Yukiko’s services included preparing a written assessment of delivery alternatives and North American P3 procurement best practices for the project.
InTransit BC Limited Partnership – Canada Line Rapid Transit Project. Key member of the legal team that advised the successful proposer led by SNC-Lavalin in its successful bid for the CAD $2 billion DBFOM rapid transit project connecting downtown Vancouver with Vancouver International Airport and the City of Richmond. The concessionaire completed the P3 project within budget and ahead of schedule before the opening of the 2010 Winter Olympics. Following financial close, Yukiko also acted as lead external counsel to the concessionaire on all legal matters arising from project. In 2005, Project Finance magazine named Canada Line North American Transport Deal of the Year and PFI magazine honored it as Infrastructure Deal of the Year-Americas. In 2010, Infrastructure Journal named the line one of the 100 most innovative and socially significant infrastructure projects in the world.
Brookfield Infrastructure Partnerships Quinte – Quinte Consolidated Courthouse Project. Key member of the legal team that advised the successful proposer in connection with an approximately CAD $250 million P3 project to design, build, finance and maintain a new consolidated courthouse in Belleville, Canada. Yukiko’s services included drafting and negotiating the design-build contract on behalf of the concessionaire.
Brookfield Infrastructure Partnerships Surrey – Surrey Pre-Trial Services Centre Expansion Project. Key member of the legal team that advised the successful proposer on a CAD $90 million DBFM availability payment concession for the Surrey Pre-Trial Services Centre Expansion Project in Surrey, British Columbia, which included the construction of 216 high-security, state-of-the-art cell expansions and renovation of an existing detention facility. In 2011, the project received the Canadian Council for Public-Private Partnership’s Gold Award for Project Financing. Yukiko’s services included drafting and negotiating the design-build contract on behalf of the concessionaire and assisting with closing.
Golden Crossing General Partnership – Golden Ears Bridge Project. Key member of the legal team that advised the successful proposer led by Bilfinger Berger BOT Inc. in its bid to design, build, finance, operate and maintain a new crossing of the Fraser River in Vancouver, Canada. The concessionaire entered into a CAD $1 billion, 35-year P3 concession agreement with South Coast British Columbia Transportation Authority. The project, which opened to traffic in 2009, captured numerous awards including 2006 “North American P3 Deal of the Year” from Project Finance magazine, “North American Deal of the Year” from PFI magazine and “North American P3 Deal of the Year” from Project Finance (Euromoney). In 2007, Infrastructure Journal named the project “Global Deal of the Year.” Yukiko’s services included drafting and negotiating the design-build contract on behalf of the concessionaire.
- 01.01.2015 | Project Finance International
- 01.02.2018 | Infra Insight Blog
- 08.17.2017 | Infra Insight Blog
- The Regents of the University of California Reaches Commercial and Financial Close on UC Merced 2020 Project08.18.2016 | Infra Insight Blog
- 06.20.2016 | Infra Insight Blog
- 03.05.2016 | Infra Insight Blog
- 11.24.2015 | Infra Insight Blog
- 05.09.2015 | Infra Insight Blog
- 02.19.2015 | Infra Insight Blog
- 01.13.2015 | Infra Insight Blog
- 10.30.2014 | Infra Insight Blog
- 06.13.2014 | Infra Insight Blog
- 04.28.2014 | Infra Insight Blog
- 04.17.2014 | Infra Insight Blog
- 03.14.2014 | Infra Insight Blog
- 02.13.2014 | Infra Insight Blog
- FHWA Proposes Fix Avoiding Need for Special Approval to Include Alternative Technical Concepts in Design-Build Procurements08.02.2013 | Infra Insight Blog
- 04.22.2013 | Infra Insight Blog
- 12.11.2012 | Infra Insight Blog
- 10.08.2012 | Infra Insight Blog
- 2019 P3 Higher Education Summit10.24.2019
- 2018 P3 Higher Education Summit09.12.2018
- P3C Media's P3 Airport Summit07.23.2018
- Airports Council International – North America's Legal Affairs Spring Conference05.05.2018
- Public-Private Partnership Conference & Expo02.27.2018
- Implementing Higher Education P3s: The UC Merced, Ohio State University and University of Massachusetts Experience2017 P3 Higher Education Summit09.18.2017
- The Public-Private Partnership Airport Summit07.25.2017
- Design-Build Institute of America Design-Build in Transportation Conference03.28.2017
- USC Gould School of Law 2017 Real Estate Law and Business Forum03.09.2017
- P3C Public-Private Partnership Conference & Expo02.27.2017
- 2016 Public-Private Partnership Higher Education Summit10.04.2016
- Enterprise Florida Board of Directors Meeting01.29.2016
- Transportation Research Board's 95th Annual Meeting01.12.2016
- National Governors Association State Planning Connecticut Retreat on Public-Private Partnerships11.17.2015
- P3s for Public Buildings Summit10.22.2015
- Transportation Research Board Annual Workshop on Transportation Law07.21.2015
- P3s for Public Buildings Summit11.17.2014
- National Governors Association North Carolina Retreat on Public-Private Partnerships10.30.2014
- American Road & Transportation Builders Association P3s in Transportation Conference07.26.2013
- 10.25.2019 | Construction Dive
- Nossaman's Eminent Domain, Environment, Healthcare, Infrastructure and Public Policy Practices Recognized by Chambers05.11.2018 | Nossaman News Release
- 05.02.2018 | Daily Journal
- 01.24.2018 | Public Works Financing
- 01.08.2018 | Law360
- 12.19.2017 | Women's Transportation Seminar – Los Angeles Newsletter
- 05.31.2017 | Nossaman News Release
- Infrastructure Partners Nancy Smith and Yukiko Kojima Recognized In LABJ's Most Influential Women Lawyers Supplement05.05.2017 | Los Angeles Business Journal
- MDOT Purple Line Light Rail Project and UC Merced 2020 Project Win "Deal of the Year Awards" From IJGlobal04.07.2017 | IJGlobal
- UC Merced 2020 Campus Expansion Project Named "Americas P3 Deal of the Year" by Project Finance International03.02.2017 | Thomson Reuters
- Nossaman's Eminent Domain, Environment & Land Use, Healthcare, Infrastructure and Public Policy Practices Recognized by Chambers06.03.2016 | Nossaman News Release
- 05.19.2015 | Chambers & Partners
Community & Professional
Trustee, UC Merced Foundation
Design-Build Institute of America, Former National Board Member and Chair of P3 Committee
Los Angeles County Bar Association
American Bar Association
Honors & Recognitions
Individual recognition for Projects, PPP – Nationwide, Chambers USA, 2015-2018
Top Women Lawyers honoree, Daily Journal, 2018
Project Finance MVP, Law360, 2017
Most Influential Women Lawyers honoree, Los Angeles Business Journal, 2017
Most Influential Minority Lawyers honoree, Los Angeles Business Journal, 2016
Leading Expert in Project Finance in Japan, Global Law Experts, 2010
- University of Toronto, LL.B., 1997
- University of Toronto, B.A., 1994
- New York
- Ontario, Canada, (non-practising)
- British Columbia, Canada, (non-practising)